[syndicate] epoetry2007

Bjørn Magnhildøen noemata at gmail.com
Fri May 25 21:55:14 CEST 2007

Thanks for the discussion, otherwise i´d be without any info of what
happened offline in the festival... which is maybe incredible.. anyway
here´s my thread -

The festival invited me to the show the piece as a networked writing
performance. I sent the set up and clarified that it was an networked
online performance that didn´t require me to be there in person. Two
months later and some days before the festival the organizers asked me
how i can perform if i´m not there in person and that "it seems
impossible to show to the audience only a screen with things scrolling
on...". So i resent and reclarified as i was confused whether they had
understood the idea. Since i didn´t hear more and was still in the
program for performing wednesday around 22-23 that´s what i did. Only
now later i read that the event wasn´t projected at the cube and only
had an online audience. Anyway, there were over hundred visitors
attending the online event (partly because i managed to kidnap
some people and machines passing by..), and the interaction with this
audience/remote writers were good and we continued for an hour. I´ve
been working on the piece for the festival especially, but will also
reuse the code later for other variants. In total, all is well. The
net has its own integrity, that´s were i belong. If it has some
offline basis, fine, but it´s not necessary. Doing these protocol
performances is for me an exploration on how the net can be a basis
for performances. Now this festival sort of gave an answer for their
part, accepting my piece as a networked online writing performance,
but only wanting to project it to an offline audience if an offline
person was performing it. I don´t object to that, only reflecting on
it viewed from the net, about spectacle, human interaction, mirrors.
Now this is a good idea - there´s a book and when you open it there
are two mirrors instead of pages. Who had imagined TV would turn out
like it did?