new book about Belgrade

horrorkatze horrorkatze at modukit.com
Sat Oct 22 22:07:49 CEST 2005

Dear friends,
The Biro for culture and communication Belgrade is glad to announce
the publication of the book "Under the Bridge-Beograd".

"Under the Bridge Beograd"
serbian/english
ISBN 86-907379-0-1
take a look at on-line version:
http://biro.modukit.com/UTB01/UTB.pdf

After the promotion at the Belgrade Book Fair from 25th -31th October
you can get the book in every bookshop in Serbia, via the distributer
"Bookbridge" or you can contact the publisher via email
biro(at)modukit.com
or for Berlin
m.roth(at)top-ev.de

Editors: Vladan Jeremic i Rena Raedle
Authors: Maja Ciric, Sinisa Cvetkovic, Dragan Ignjatov, Zorica
Jovanovic, Vladan Jeremic, Stephan Kurr, Predrag Miladinovic, Dr Agan
Papic, Ivana Rankovic, David Rych, Rena Raedle, Tanja Ostojic
Photos: Toni Crisolli, Dragan Ignjatov, Vladan Jeremic, Stephan Kurr,
Dragan Lapcevic, Matthias Roth, Ricarda Wallhaeuser

"Under the Bridge", a view of Belgrade,or the discovery of the interior city.
In December 2004 a group of people met in Belgrade to explore the cit
y together. Four days of walks and talks resulted in a variet y of
new perspectives for both guests and hosts.The unconventional ways of
making contact with Belgrade reached its peak in a surprising
encounter with the people living under the bridge. Eleven authors
tell controversial stories about the foreign inside of the familiar
and the discover y of the familiar inside the foreign.

Introduction
This book is just one of a whole range of projects that started "under the
bridge" in Belgrade. People from ten different countries, together with their
hosts from Belgrade, wandered and got to know the city. Pursuing their
individual inclinations and interests, they explored their own and other
people's notions of the city, of life and of themselves. In their own different
ways, they familiarized themselves with Belgrade, a city that is, to some,
home, to others, an item in the news.
The result is a collection of photos, drawings and texts on situations and
places from the four days in December. The emerging picture is not so much
an explanation or a final analysis but an expression of how we feel about the
city. It depicts Belgrade as a social space where it is possible to
express one-
self and to act. The authors write about their perceptions of that space, the
changes it undergoes, and they consider their own part in what is unfolding.
Meeting something unfamiliar is always an encounter with oneself, as well
as the stereotypes we generate. Such clichés served as stepping-stones for
the participants ' undertakings: the tour to the Tito Mausoleum, the wrong
city map, the banana, the restaurant, the title of the project itself,
"Under the Bridge ",etc.
A stereotype can be eradicated  the minute we get to know the thing
which it refers to. We experienced this under the bridge-motor way,
in an invisible space in the city centre where the Roma and the refugees
had built their dilapidated huts...