Buk Bijeli Dam

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Sat Oct 16 17:58:23 CEST 2004

About at the same time Dragan Jovanovic wrote about the issue for
NIN, I produced the radio show for Radio 101 (called UNESCO,
Greenpeace, WWF, ...). I didn't know Dejan that you went rafting on
Tara. Lucky you. It is great to hear Dragan leads Serbia's Greens
today. 20 years after, I still have a tape of the show. Yesterday, I
finally had a chance to listen to it. In 1985 the project was called
Bijeli Brijeg (which, I guess, is the same as Buk Bijeli in current
language). Energoprojekt from Belgrade was supposed to build a dam
that would turn 1/3 of the about 150 km long canyon into a lake, but
the dam, built at village of Tepavac, would be just 15% of the
canyon's height. It was supposed to address Montenegro's power
hunger, not Serbia's, I apologize for not listening to my own show
before I wrote the earlier message. Montenegro's presidency at the
time claimed that it needed 800KWh a year more to expand its economy.
The Tara plant would arguably produce 880KWh a year. Montenegro had
(and still has) abundant, but undeveloped, hydro-power potential. The
issue was (and still is) whether Montenegro would build its own power
plant to support its large aluminum smelter (also built at that time,
as the largest aluminum smelter in Europe at that time), or would it
depend on the other republics (Serbia and Bosnia in this case - which
were the only republics in former Yugoslavia that produced more
electric power than they used in 1980s) to supply the power.
Montenegro's presidency bid to build the dam could today largely be
interpreted as a bluff: it arose after the meeting of the all 6
republic's energy ministers in Belgrade, where Montenegro did not get
the support they wanted. They knew the dam could never be build
because it violated a dozen of federal and republic laws (the law on
national parks, the law on ratification of foreign treaties - Tara is
on UNESCO's World Heritage list since 1976, the land zoning
regulations, etc.). The whole issue was to make Bosnia and Serbia
agree to supply affordable power to the aluminum smelter. The dam
building was supposed to start in 1986, and finish in 1992. But many
in Montenegro's republic leadership were actually opposed to it.
Polls of people in Belgrade and Zagreb showed that public believed
the project was stupid. International organizations (like Greenpeace,
UNESCO and WWF) were baffled that someone would actually even think
of that. Environmental scientists were predicting disater for the
entire ecosystem of Montenegro, and energy analysts were saying that
by current projections at the time the Tara dam would add just 2% of
electricity to Yugoslavia's grid by the year 2000. In Ljubljana
environmentalists organized petitions against it on the street.
Eventually, the dam was not built, but aluminum smelter was. The
energy supply came from upgrading the Djerdap hydro-power plant, as
Jovanovic wrote (and it probably still depends on it). Never enough,
however, for the full capacity of the smelter. Montenegro does have
some bauxite, but definitely not the large deposits that were
claimed. The studies (commenced AFTER the smelter was built) shown
that the original projections grossly overestimated the bauxite
deposits, because someone in Montenegros party's leadership really
wanted to have that factory built. So, the smelter always operated
with bauxite from Croatia and from overseas imports. Since neither
the promise of cheap power nor the promise of cheap bauxite
materialized, the smelter never really made expected profits. Today,
two decades old, ill-maintained factory, that depends on imports of
both bauxite and energy is obviously un-economical, and it clearly
cannot compete with a smaller, but newer and more efficient aluminum
smelter in nearby Croatian-controlled Mostar, Bosnia, which has
access to abundant Bosnia's hydro-power and to Croatia's bauxite. The
expensive dam on Tara (it is a very difficult construction location)
would just add to the red numbers of the Montenegro's bottom line.
Instead, Montenegro should turn Durmitor National Park (where canyon
Tara is just one of 6 beautiful glacial canyons) into a tourist-mecca
for Europeans, just as Colorado National Park is for Americans. In
1985 DNP made 300 times less money a year than Plitvice National Park
in Croatia. But the solution is not to destroy the park, it is to
manage it better. The potential is sure there - while Tara canyon is
much shorter than Colorado, it is still the second longest, and it's
sides are even taller than Colorado's.

ivo