[syndicate] Fwd: "October 100th issue"

][co][De][e][p.rivation netwurker at hotkey.net.au
Thu Jul 18 01:23:28 CEST 2002

At 04:38 PM 7/17/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>have no idea why exactly the cyberfeminism lists are the most difficult
>for woman to subscribe to.
>the most exclusive circles?

i don't either...but the echoing of regular structured power-dynamics in
lists such as undercurrents seems strange.ly ironic.......

>undercurrents - as an international mailing list - started in the
>direction of positive discrimination favouring women of
>colour,
>and they delimitate themselves from Eurocentric media activism, especially
>form nettime
>and their 'formalist' approach to media and art. maybe their distinction
>has to do
>also with the body-centered american feminism and the critical,
>theory-centered european one.
>this theory centrism could be also the ground of lack of reference to race
>in european discourse -
>besides the low number women of colour in West Europe.

...i find this approach restrictive, that acts 2 compartmentalize the
net.work in2 rigid, false dichotomies premised on the
g][m][e][at][obody.........

i request 2 join undercurrents about a month or 2 ago, with the sub.c.quent
reply asking me 2 questions;

1. wot i felt i could contribute 2 the list &
2. my biography

...the post also said they would consider my subscription & get back 2 me.
i replied 2 their qs.

they didn't reply. i then sent 2 queries asking if they had considered my
subscription. they still made no response. then after sending this 2 fact
[that the undercurrents moderators hadn't bothered 2 get back 2 me] 2
[syndicate] list, i received the following;

 >>From: Animas999 at aol.com
 >>Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 20:48:47 EDT
 >>Subject: undercurrents
 >>To: netwurker at hotkey.net.au
 >>
 >>by decision of the moderators, the list is closed at this time, no further
 >>subscribers are being taken. all posts can be read on the thing.net archive.

if this was the case, y ask 2 send answers 2 the screening info they
requested initially? its this type of blatant moderator powa abuse that is
killing the net; that is s.sentially creating x.clusive niche-driven
info-pockets that perform according 2 stringent static data flow &
cauterised subscriber input.......

that this comes from a list that pur[rr]ports 2 do x.actly the opposite
absolutely confuses & re.volts me, & is correspondingly denigrating 2 all
of those 'cyberfeminists' who actually struggle 2 realign powa
dyn.a][ctualities][mics in such a medium that should n.courage fluid
communication........

>anyway, their archives are open,
>and if you want to post there, as a voice of the white minority and
>net.art crowd,  i can fw, of course.

feel free 2 4ward this 2 the undercurrents list, anna. but i'd b highly
surprised if they let it thru.

ch[ill]unks,
mez

>greetings,
>anna
>

>7/17/02 1:25:12 AM, "][co][De][e][p.rivation" <netwurker at hotkey.net.au> wrote:
>
> >At 05:30 PM 7/16/2002 +0200, you wrote:
> >>i read and read about the perception of net.art ion the undercurrents list.
> >

> >they won't answer my re:plies 2 subscribe.
> >
> >weird.nezz,
> >mez
> >

> >.           .    ....         .....
> >collapsing adj[thr]usting.txt
> >.
> >.
> >cur.][o][va.ture
> >www.cddc.vt.edu/host/netwurker/
> >http://www.macros-center.ru/read_me/inexen.htm#re

>Syndicate network for media culture and media art
>information and archive: http://anart.no/~syndicate
>to post to the Syndicate list: <syndicate at anart.no>
>Shake the KKnut: http://anart.no/~syndicate/KKnut
>no commercial use of the texts without permission