Fwd: Question ! Re: [syndicate] Martial Repression & Protest in Pakistan

yasir ~يا سر yasir.media at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 20:10:18 CEST 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: yasir ~يا سر <yasir.media at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 11:08 AM
Subject: Re: Question ! Re: [syndicate] Martial Repression & Protest in
Pakistan
To: Maria Backman <mariabackman at comhem.se>
Cc: maujmail at googlegroups.com, Atteqa Malik <atteqa at gmail.com>, amar mahboob
<deepdive at gmail.com>, nameera ahmed <nameeraa at gmail.com>

hey
thanks for writing. yeah, i am a writer, i've been a media professional, but
ive always done theory, and study and now do things with the media. we also
have a new media arts collective called Mauj. . i'll forward this mail to my
friends, who can also chip in. you should definitely come to karachi too!

http://sites.google.com/site/maujwiki/

by the way we will have one event (seminar and activities on new media art)
planned for November end (at the KaraFilm festival) , then another event is
january - probably workshops,
we're kind of working with several artists from plan to come here in the
next six months. rob kranenberg of bicolabs, brigitta....., my friend atteqa
is making arrangements for them. so keep in touch with us and if you like,
you can get in touch with rob and others, and may be we can do something....

we're also watching the political situation. karachi is fine, islamabad is
reeling from the shock at the moment, and itsa depressing moment.

Everyday life is totally normal here but we know that things are not good in
the areas near the border with afghanistan. these are the tribal areas.

i also have activist friends. we are having a seminar on the war in that
area. we've also had protests. this sis a citizens group called People's
Resistance - its got lawyers, doctors, media people, artists etc in it

islamabad is a small city. karachi and lahore are crazy and huuuge. there
are a lot of artists around. no problem about religion. you just ask friends
about things - they'll guide you about things here. people just dont like
public nudity - other wise no problem !

we can also introduce to other artists, activists, depends on what you'd
like to do.
the underground scene is definitely happening ....

best

hope this answers you questions buy feel free to ask