[syndicate] Backwoods Lowery for your listening pleasure

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Tue Jan 22 16:55:54 CET 2008

Backwoods Lowery

The Lowery organ was a fixture for decades; in Morgantown, there's a music
shop that specializes in them, but they're expensive. Nonetheless, I found
an old Lowery Mini-Genie, which looks like a Casio plastic keyboard (61
keys), but was apparently made by JVC for Lowery fans in the early-80s who
wanted something portable. Although early digital, it sounds like nothing
else and I recorded extended lounging which will surely find its way into
avatar videos. So here for your listening enjoyment,

http://www.alansondheim.org/lowery2.mp3
http://www.alansondheim.org/lowery6.mp3
http://www.alansondheim.org/lowery7.mp3
http://www.alansondheim.org/lowery8.mp3
http://www.alansondheim.org/lowery10.mp3
http://www.alansondheim.org/lowery11.mp3

which are all based on one or another closely-watched rhythm or timbre,
somewhat similar, modulated for the most part in overly-strict time
signatures developed for easy early-80s listening.