AW: [syndicate] our SL discussion

fm fmadre at free.fr
Fri Mar 9 20:28:23 CET 2007

Alan Sondheim a écrit :
> Not that this is my discussion,
I'm afraid it's yours as well
> but I think you're overly simplistic here - you're not controlled by
> the software any more than you're controlled by a hammer, which is
> also produced, say, by Sears.
oh, man, I don't know where to begin with this.
there is not much to a hammer, buying it from sears and making one
yourself will give you the same control over it. it's a piece of wood
with a piece of something harder at one edge. unless there is some rfid
built into it it's an isolated object which is completely out of reach
of its maker. now there's a saying that goes "if your only tool is a
hammer all your problems look like nails" but you're right you're not
controlled by a hammer, alan, I agree. the analogy to software is not
even limited it is inexistent. specially networked software... the
examples for control with software are so well known that I truly don't
know where to begin, i'm stumped. anyway I was speaking of a more
refined form of control, oh, yeah there's a good example with wikipedia:
everybody knows that you can't just go there and edit away, there is
such an amount of protocol in there that it's for the pros and I don't
mean the social protocol either I mean the way the software is designed
is what controls you more and entices the others and you to conform to
certain usages. now I happen to have designed and coded a social
software environment  (polyptique) and I know that we have made it in a
certain way to encourage certain behavior and to restrict others. it was
definitely designed to achieve a certain kind of communal organization
and not another one, in the way that some images are shown on top of the
page for instance, or that when you create a new page you have to state
a number of lines after which it will be deemed as "completed", etc
also the fact that when you register to a system you get more privileges
than an anonymous user has, this is very simple and effective control
makes me think of what happened with blogger (bought by google a while
ago) recently. i had been a blogger user for ages, 1999, and suddenly
perhaps 3 months ago they said there were releasing a new and (of
course) better version, to beta test that new version you had to get a
google account (before that you just had a blogger account). I had no
interest in the new version at all and did not look at it. the new
version was rolled out in production and week after week they'd put up
bigger and bigger announcements for the new version, for which you HAD
to get a google account. I didn't move the blog to the new version and
one day a friend told me he suddenly had to get a google account to get
in. I thought he was fooled into it but _several days_ after he was
forced to move I suddenly could not log into my blog anymore wihtout
having a google account (oh, this happened to you also, alan, I remember
now!) so what I did is that I shut firefox and opened the dusty IE and
this way I could log into my blog... but when I returned I could not
anymore with IE or firefox, I was fucked and if i wanted to update MY
blog I had to get a bloody google account. then I believed my friend.
and also I relaized that it was not to get your blog to the new version
that you had to register to google, it was pure dominant behavoir from
the owners of the software, my friend was posting in our blog with the
supposedly new version and I had posted at the same time without
"moving". yeah, after a while google got fed up with waiting for the
bloggers to move, there was no option (even to get your archives and
move to another platform), either you registered with google or you
could not access your thing. they own the software, they control what
you do and you can't do a thing about it.
Is blogger a hammer ? hell no

being in SL looks to me more like being willingly in "the truman show"
than holding a hammer. you are constantly monitored and twitched to go
this way or another.
it's the truman show and you are enjoying it as truman never would have

now there is also the argument that all this is worse or the same in
real life, patrick mentioned it also, and that people like me who refuse
control should realize that somehow it's unescapabale, the way it should be.
so, so wrong this analogy is, again.
in real life, where there is an organization of society, lots of
different organizations thru out history and geography, there are many
many forms of possible dissension and readjustement. yeah, like I can go
on strike when the bosses are trying to fuck us (and I do, i'm a
unionist) and when there is a law which I object to I go out in the
street and demonstrate. the last time we did this in france we won, you
know.
and there are so many moments where I am totally unmonitored and I can
remain unmonitored, if I don't use my mobile phone, don't use my credit
card, I can move around without being noticed and tracked as "me". now
this brings me to another point: SL is private property. out there we
still have a lot of public space and we are fighting for it and there
are also lots of private areas which are private to us only
you know I can be in my apartment eating snails with my bare hands and
no one will know, have sex or cut the skin on my thighs and no one will
have registered it in their database
do you remember when people said cookies were evil ? that was not so
long ago.
cookies are a way of tracking what you do, they were evil because of
that, because of the power you yield
now think of what you are leaving in SL, that is a cookie to the power
of 256

etc.
>  on top of that, the worst crap I've experienced was that period on
> nettime
but you're back on it
gotta love that hammer!
when stuff happened there that I didn't like I yelled and I left

f.