[syndicate] FREE BEER @ CodeChat

Pall Thayer pall at fa.is
Fri Aug 31 11:13:39 CEST 2007

http://pallit.lhi.is/~palli/codechat/freebeer/freebeer.php

This was done in response to Kate Southworth's recent post announcing
her talk to be given on September 1st at Tate St. Ives in connection
with the Social Systems exhibition.

I'd like to announce that a CodeChat page has been set up to discuss
SUPERFLEX's FREE BEER recipe. As is stated on the http://
www.freebeer.org website:

"FREE BEER
is a beer which is free in the sense of freedom, not in the sense of
free beer.

The project, originally conceived by Copenhagen-based artist
collective Superflex and students at the Copenhagen IT University,
applies modern free software / open source methods to a traditional
real-world product - namely the alcoholic beverage loved and enjoyed
globally, and commonly known as beer."

I thought it would in turn be interesting to apply the system I
developed for the purpose of discussing free and open code to
SUPERFLEX's recipe. Doing so also points out the close relationship
between instruction based, conceptual art and computer-programmed
art. SUPERFLEX's recipe is essentially a set of instructions that,
when followed, produce a product that is quite different in nature
than the instructions themselves. This also applies to computer-
programmed art. This also provides a handy bridge between computer-
programmed art and the historically significant instruction based
work of artists such as Lawrence Weiner and Sol Lewitt. Setting up
this CodeChat page also points out the implications of open licensing
as this was done without acquiring SUPERFLEX's permission and relies
solely on the work's licensing.

Kate and I have started off the discussion with a couple of comments
and questions (see lines 16 and 39. Now I would like to invite others
to join in.

http://pallit.lhi.is/~palli/codechat/freebeer/freebeer.php

--
Pall Thayer