[syndicate] Alan, the man

epistolaris at freemail.hu epistolaris at freemail.hu
Mon Oct 23 17:11:14 CEST 2006

unfortunately i am not enough familiar with the feminist critical discourse -
specially not with the American one - to articulate a  meaningful opinion about
the debate. All i can say is as a woman  i never found offensive the postings
of Alan, I read them much more as side-documents of a daily struggle with
identity, maybe not very intersting as individual posts everyday, but
interesting as a whole. I also find them authentic and as a contiuous story
with an open end.
Though	I tried to catch up with feminist discourse and of course i don't come
from  nowhere, and I am not simply a tabula rasa ready to download only
contemporay feminism, and I found very interesting the way some people, also
Coco Fusco, Faith Wilding and Martha Rosler back in the 7o's  formulated
problems, but i was also very suspicious with the political corectness
emanating from the general discourse, and I tried to measure the gap between
the daily context of being a woman and the seemingly elevated intellectual
narratives. In this sense I can support the sayings of Alan.
To be honest I also don't see all the posts on nettime very offensive, I
beleive that Alan could be more strong to overcome critical tones and engage in
the debate.
When about questions about censorship and moderation I am not only against
moderation but also against self-censorship. It is very interesting to look
back to  debates about moderation, even with overflamed tones, at least we have
those emails, we have the opinions expressed - while others quite missed it.
Surely ours is a much better position, we have a look in te hidden mechanism of
list cultures. Thanks Andrej.
When about debates I am always for them. I write now right from Budapest, from
the middle of a city and a society charged of many decades of unspoken trauma,
uncriticised contexts, false analyses, with a dozen of helicopters over my
head, encircled by  of deruted mass of people on the streets and a deruted
police. Quite a crisis here also.