[syndicate] men & bombs segment...

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Thu May 11 13:58:40 CEST 2006

Hi Frederic,

You know what Frederick - the male in the piece does look as though he
is farting out, an nuclear explosion, although, to be honest - it was
not intentional at the time. It looks quite funny really. Whilst
creating it, my subconscious must of decided that I needed to put a joke
in there, without a part of myself even being conscious of it...

 >simply I thought that in this piece you seem to be shaking a fist at
someone
 >in particular, someone like george bush, also trying to adress the type of
 >person that is george bush making it generic, and shaking the stick at the
 >appearance of (I use quotes on purpose here) "george bush", the appearance
 >being that he believes in god and the power of his own position, that
he is
 >right

http://www.furtherfield.org/mgarrett/men_&_bombs/docs/men_and_bombs8.htm

Yes- this is definitely aimed at Bush but, it is also aimed at violent
males who get off on killing and hurting people, civilians of the world
as well. It is also a rant against my step-father who was extremely
violent. Here's a story I wrote about him a while back...
http://www.creative-catalyst.com/e-femoral/marc.html

It is a kind rant against the archetypal who seem to be caught up in a
kind of habitual autism, imposing mechanistinic structures to contain
the globe via corporational greed, power and absolute violence to
humanity - whether it be gene patenting, bombs, wifebeating - or remaing
top boss.

And yes, capitalism is also part of the problem here, in respect of the
imposed monolithic frameworks and soul destroying processes that
religion has also fooled so many light-headed individuals on - the world
has not changed, only the toys that we play with it seems...

You might find this one intriging also...
http://www.furtherfield.org/mgarrett/men_&_bombs/docs/men_and_bombs5.htm
(Internet explorer for best performance).

more info...

THe Men & Bombs site itself -
http://www.furtherfield.org/mgarrett/men_&_bombs/ is a collection of cut
up, collaged images found originally on the Internet and constructed
using DHTML. Everything featured, including the music is using the
Internet as a resource & useful palette to form, sculpt, create visual
and dynamic content. Everything has either been remixed or changed in
accordance to the main themes - atomic energy, masculinity, bloodlust,
misogyny, sadism, sex, desire, fashion, heroism, lust, bravado,
weaponry, murder etc.

Some of the text featured on this site are informational texts about
atomic fallout as well as military data. The more poetic text's are my
own, such as 'werza' and other slogans.

The whole site is in greyscale. This is because I wanted to explore
various aspects of masculinity & man's relationship with war & bombs
without necessarily using obvious, sensationalistic methods. Although
there are scenes that will be seen or thought of as extreme, I felt the
need to somehow be respectful to those valuable lives lost in the name
of War & not being blindly exploitative in my approach. It seems that
taking colour out of the piece offers more depth & the viewer now has
more space for contemplation around the subject matter. Also, you will
not find any imges of dead people on the site, which is a conscious
decision, thus avoiding mediating the lives of those murdered, for my
own personal (so called artistic) gain.

The music is a soundscape that I have created influenced by a record I
heard years ago by the excellent Anarchist punk band called 'Crass'. My
soundtrack, is a much more incidental & quiet piece but still capturing
the flavour of their song 'Nagasaki Nightmare'.

At present - it is best being viewed in Internet Explorer, for the
Javascripts. Although, when I find time I do intend to update the
scripts so that it can be seen correctly in other browsers.

marc