[syndicate] \\ O R D N U N G \ Z E R O T O L E R A N C E

claudia westermann media at ezaic.de
Fri Nov 4 14:31:05 CET 2005

>zero tolerance policy
>
>it never worked anywhere else but in New York -as far as I know -
>and there are people very suspicious about the statistics given out
>- i.e. the crime rates at the borders are not measured for example

regarding statistics and interpretation may see this as well

http://wcr.sonoma.edu/v2n1/currie.html

Reflections on Crime and Criminology at the Millenium *

Elliott Currie

Citation : Currie,    Elliott. 1999. "Reflections on Crime and
Criminology at the    Millenium." Western Criminology Review 2(1).
[Online]. Available:

[...]

So one problem I have with the new "triumphalism" about crime is that
I think that to some extent it represents a state of denial--in which
we exaggerate our recent successes against serious crime and
strategically ignore the implications of our comparative standing
vis-a-vis other countries. But there's also what may be an even more
crucial problem. Granting that there have been significant reductions
in violence, the new triumphalism puts a highly misleading "spin" on
the why of those declines--a spin which is not only misleading but
dangerous, because it could lead us to adopt (or to continue) all the
wrong anticrime policies while ignoring the things we really ought to
be doing.

MISINTERPRETING DECLINES IN VIOLENCE

There are two facets of that misleading "spin": first, it exaggerates
the role of some kinds of criminal justice strategies in accounting
for the declines; second, it underestimates the role of other, social
factors which are probably more important. Put those together, and
you have the core of a new ideology about crime control that could
lead us to policy mistakes that, once made, are very difficult to
correct.

Let's take the exaggeration of the criminal justice effects first. As
everyone here knows, two things in particular, in some combination,
have often been given the bulk of the credit for our recent declines
in violent crime. One is tough sentencing laws which have
dramatically boosted incarceration rates; the other is tough
policing, especially the so-called "zero tolerance" approach most
famously, or notoriously, adopted in New York City. You can read
about the supposed great effects of both of these in the media
practically any day of the week, and not only in the United States,
but all over the world.