[syndicate] \\ O R D N U N G \ Z E R O T O L E R A N C E

Yasir Husain husain at cyber.net.pk
Sat Nov 5 03:51:19 CET 2005

From: claudia

> >>  tell me another one.
> >>

> >only if sarkozy ...
> >

> ha ... I heard someone was asking for "zero tolerance for sarkozy"
>               I agree
>

> It is the public capacity in man which Richard
Sennett describes to have decreased and which has
a parallel in the decrease of public space in the
city. At the same time an increase in intimate
communication is perceivable as well. However,
the public capacity is the capacity to
communicate and to do this without "undressing"
one self, to "perform".

this is a global phenomena as the american model of 24hrs cable/satellite programming takes hold. tv because it seEms to A global integrative/disjunctive model. like in cities this can be a kaleidoscope model with different channels coexisting. but compared to the 'public' of before this ignores/cannot fathom the cultural/cognitive change that has already happened. it would be one thing to say that the sociological base (bodies) is there - meaning integration is the problem. and another to realize that this results only in hardening sociological-cognitive categories in new ways which is a rather negative result - which we are seeing i think. the bbc reports that dijon marseilles are copycats. in paris it says the problem is similar to the UK in the eighties but unlike the US, LA, in the nineties - that is it is a 'race' (really meaning an ethnic -cultural) problem a its worst, more than a than 'lack of opportunity' type of problem. i am not sure what this means exactly ( i d
ont have a feel for it), but youre right, the 'public' is is not what the public is.