[syndicate] New work: Autodrawn

Pall Thayer pall at fa.is
Mon May 9 23:18:22 CEST 2005

Hi Barbara,
I'm glad you like the piece. Of course, the whole thing is centered
around the Kraftwerk - Autobahn theme but that's actually just something
that happened along the way. For quite some time, I've been intrigued
with these internet traffic cameras that can be found all over. I lived
in Minneapolis in the US for a few years and after leaving there I
discovered that the Minnesota department of transportation has these
live traffic cameras and I went through them to sort of re-live the
city. But as I didn't have a car while I was there, the traffic cameras
painted a very different picture of the city than what I knew. As a
bicycler/pedestrian I experienced the freeways as a bit of a nuisance.
Sometimes you had to go out of your way to get to the other side, they
were noisy, polluted and dangerous. But when you view them with the
internet between you, they become sort of beautiful in a way. Almost
like intricate sculptures. So my choice of images ended up being about
aesthetic value more than anything else. For instance, the Riverside
Expressway in Brisbane (http://www.itsq.com.au/webcam/images/mecure.jpg)
is really interesting in an abstract visual way. The contrasting curving
lines and straight lines, the depth provided by the multiple levels of
traffic and the multitude of light posts makes for a really interesting
excercise in drawing. Another interesting one is in Phoenix, Arizona
(http://www.az511.com/Images/cameraimages/cameras/camera013.jpg). This
camera has alternating views but most of them equally interesting. I'm
sure that someone with an eye for the visual had something to do with
the positioning of these cameras. Again, it's the interplay between
straight and curved lines, stark contrasts and a really nice sense of
depth. Other images were chosen just because they're such typical
highway scenes, like this one in Sweden
(http://www.trafiken.nu/Sthlm/bilder/225.JPG). It's very similar to the
highway scene on the original Autobahn album cover
(http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000007U6V.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg).

I spent a lot of time on getting the traced images to resemble pencil
sketches. What tracing programs look for in images is color changes. So
the first step was figuring out how many different colors to allow the
program to look for. The detail of the end result depends on this. More
colors = more detail. I ended up going with 5 colors. The tracing
program produces an SVG file where it defines the colors of the shapes
and whether or not lines and shapes have fills. Through a bunch of
experimenting I ended up putting a semi-transparent gray fill on
everything and a semi-transparent line around everything as well. This
produces shades of varying darkness when things overlap, just as would
happen in a pencil drawing. But one of the really big steps towards
getting it to resemble a pencil sketch was varying line thickness. It's
actually just done at random but it brings the drawing to "life". I
remember when I was studying drawing this was a big issue. "PAINT with
line!"

One of the really interesting things about the computer doing the
drawing is the total disregard for what's being drawn. Familiarity is
actually one of the things that makes drawing difficult. It causes
people to draw things that aren't there. You might be sketching a house
that you're looking at and find that you've drawn more of the roof than
you can actually see just because you know what a roof looks like and
you know it's there even though you can't see it. So the computer is
able to give us a very unique rendition of a sketched car because the
computer has no idea what a car looks like. It won't emphasize the
typical things that define a car like wheels. I really like some of the
cars that show up in the drawings.