Another run at it -

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Fri May 6 09:17:23 CEST 2005

Another run at it -

Consider the wave function collapse from the viewpoint, not of a cat or
(dis)interested observer but from that a music producer. The analogic is
devolves into one of two modes, say, either Y or N. Consider a continuous
production of particles and close to continuous measurement. The result is
a series of Ys, Ns. Consider this a code or a mapping, which it is not; it
is probabilistic most likely, Bohm notwithstanding. Then say {Yn,Nm} or
some such represents the resulting series. Let Band1 = {Yn,Nm}, then Band1
is the first sound-track on the new Schrodinger CD. Now Band1 only roughly
reproduces the music of course, which is collapsed from the bandwidth. It
seems irrelevant to ask about the Khz of this new recording, but we might
set up the entire experiment in order to create Band1, Band2, at any Khz.
The question might be, what are we listening to? The question might be,
what does Band1 represent or in other words, how well does it represent
the original music? Band1 is the music. Band 1 is random. Is it white
noise? Does it require encoding? Collapse the spikes to a spectrum;
listen. With the beam-splitter, send part of the wave elsewhere. Then one
might speculate as to alien intervention. This is a way for an alien to
accompany or construct music here on earth. Or rather, to interfere. But
of course it is random, and no one or nothing (alien, observer here,
observer there) has anything to say about it or through it. It is hardly a
signature, is it?

We'll never know definitively if the observer elsewhere has received the
signal. The alien is good at mimickry. The alien perhaps hasn't interfered
and hasn't measured. But she sends a signal, it takes years. She says,
What did you receive? The local observer says Y or N; the alien, aha! I
knew it. This goes on and on. Collect those Ys! Then they're the result of
production, of non-production, they're the result of entanglement, they're
the result of nothing at all. I'm lost here, forgive me. I want to make a
song, I want to call it Band1, from Schrodinger. Forgive me.

( URLs/DVDs/CDroms/books/etc. see http://www.asondheim.org/advert.txt )