[syndicate] Semiotics resurrected. Re: Short bibliography on analytical/digital thinking vis-a-vis semiotics. .

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Mon Mar 28 19:14:56 CEST 2005

Hi and a few things - first please do let me know if I'm posting too much
here; I can cut back or altogether. Writing is just about all I do, and
the project has been a continuous one.

I haven't found Manovich that useful; some of the film theory he's come to
(which has been around for decades) has been good, for example Metz.

Can you recommend any books (English or French) on the historic roots via
Aristotle? On the other hand, the issues I'm concerned with aren't really
reflected in earlier work; they've come to the foreground only with things
like engineering, cybernetics, etc. There have been some auxiliary texts -
Irigaray's Speculum and writing on fluid mechanics vs mechanistic mechan-
ics for example - but nothing going to the heart of what we take for
granted - the nearest has been the Wilden book. We're trying to address
the problem on the West Virginia wiki, and I've been trying to deal with
it in some of the essays there.

Any bibliography you might provide would be really useful; let me know if
I could put it up on the West Virginia site (or you could do it yourself
at http://www.as.wvu.edu:8000/clc/projects/plaintext_tools/AnalogDigital
or http://www.as.wvu.edu:8000/clc/projects/plaintext_tools/Codework .

Finally, I do send out the more general bibliographies ("books I like")
from time to time as short reviews; a lot of that material has been useful
as well for my other work.

yours, Alan and thanks

nettext http://biblioteknett.no/alias/HJEMMESIDE/bjornmag/nettext/
WVU 2004 projects: http://www.as.wvu.edu/clcold/sondheim/