Semiotics resurrected. Re: Short bibliography on analytical/digital thinking vis-a-vis semiotics. .

abalint at merz.hu abalint at merz.hu
Mon Mar 28 14:19:39 CEST 2005

Dear Alan,
generally I like your writings, and it is a great and special pleasure to
read a short bibliography of yours - this kind of concise version of
writing. I very much enjoy reading bibliographies, I even have periods when
i read nothing but bibliographies. So that naturally I was deligheted to
see a bibliography among so many too regular postings!
I find amazing about the  many possible ways of seeing digital/analog
semantics nowadays, and the possibility (the virtual per se) to edit many
different bibliographies. To name a few classes of bibliography on
analytical/digital thinking:  a. bibliography of the semiotics based on
American structuralism (wich is according to many, specially european
people only a diluted version of the european structuralism) b. others
based on european structuralism very much indepted at its turn not only to
c. F. Saussure (another great bibliography inspirator) d. but the Russian
Formalism [a par excellence bibliography constitutive group, known in the
States mainly only through Rene Wellek and the new criticims): the OPOJAZ
group, the Moscow Linguistic Circle and their opponents Lev Trostky and
Anatolii Lunacharskii. Amazingly enough it seems still difficult to trace
influences among these groups, and related bibliographies.  Though in
Russian Formalism and Futurist theory we find very similar questions to
yours (the reflexive author Alan Sondheim)  about intentional
coding/precoded entities (it encodes) for instance in the transrational
zaum language of  Velemir Khlebnikov, or about encrypted poietic values at
phonemic level in Polinanov's work.

Of course this is only the top of the iceberg when it seriously comes
about  semiotics related to digital/analog thinking. One of the main
question all semioticians dream about is of course the Antique semiotic
theory, its principles and its praxis. Unfortunately no authentic text is
preserved till nowadays, we know about the sources mainly through Diogenes
Laertios only, but that is not reason for semiotcicians of all times to
interpret the possible principles of the Antique semiotics. Till present we
distinguish two main semiotic attitudes: one is the Aristotelian mimetic
school, and the other is the Non-Aristotelian tradition, based (as perhaps
their names suggest a bit) on quite opposite principles. One could easily
link the Russian Formalist school to the non-aristotelian semiosis and
artistic tradition. A problem in this link however is an insolubilia, that
the authors refer more to Aristotle in defending their theory, but a
problem that can be solved by non-aristotelian pinciples is not a real
problem for non-aristotelian theoreticians, so... yes, the Russian
Formalism continuesa and contributes to the non-aristotelain tradition. I
risk that bibliographies also do so.

I consider both the Language of New Media by lev Manovich (also greatly
inspired by Russian Formalist School) and your short bibliography on
analytical/digital thinking vis-a-vis smeiotics an introduction to a larger
bibliography. So I very much look forward to see the bibliographia magna
one day among the syndicate postings...

greetings,
Anna

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:39:08 -0500 (EST), Alan Sondheim