two questions - need information - (fwd)

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Thu Jun 30 00:00:02 CEST 2005

Two Questions -

At http://www.asondheim.org/ - go to 'book' - a number of jpegs.
I'm looking for any information - there are images from two books
that appear to be Czech missals from the mid-19th century. Any
information greatly appreciated. These are hand-written and hand-
bound, hand-tooled.

Second question - Has anyone heard the follow:

> From an anonymous member:
>
> Mystery QRM Signals in Australia:
>
> In Australia two very strong pulse signals are appearing on HF amateur
> bands and the hunt is on to determine the source of these intruders.
>
> A radar like pulse which peaks at 10dB over signal strength 9, and
> reported to be up 100kHz wide is being heard regularly 7020-7080 kHz
> in the (VK) mornings and 3590-3800 kHz in the (VK) evenings.
>
> Reports from VK and ZL point to it being north-west of Australia. JA's
> and W's during QSOs with VK also say they can detect the signal but at
> a lower strength.
>
> It's an unwelcome reminder of the havoc caused by the over-the-horizon
> radar dubbed the Russian Woodpecker that fired up in 1976 and lasted a
> decade. Hopefully this latest pulse signal is not another OTHR.
>
> A repetitive cyclic sounding pulse signal is also being experienced in
> VK on most amateur HF bands and often simultaneously on more than one
> band.
>
> An inquiry by the Wireless Institute of Australia (WIA) has received
> assurances that neither the (JORN) Jindalee over-the-horizon Defence
> radar in central Australia or a new SECAR system in the Torres Strait
> north of Queensland are to blame.
>
> The (SECAR) Surface wave Extended Coastal Area Radar has begun trials.
> It will enhance the monitoring ability for Defence and Customs to
> detect illegal fishing and immigration. It could also be developed to
> provide early storm warnings.
>
> With JORN and SECAR being given alibis, the WIA's Intruder Watch
> intruders at wia.org.au is now seeking reports from radio amateurs on the
> harmful interference.
>
> In particular it needs directional information and reported incidents
> of these intruders disrupting QSOs and causing harmful interference.
> The WIA will then take the matter up with the Australian
> Communications Authority for its investigation.
>
> - Amateur Radio Victoria
> amateurradio.com.au
>
> Mystery QRM signals
>
> In Australia two very strong pulse signals are appearing on HF amateur
> bands and the hunt is on to determine the source of these intruders.
>
> A radar like pulse which peaks at 10dB over signal strength 9, and
> reported to be up 100kHz wide is being heard regularly 7020-7080 kHz
> in the (VK) mornings and 3590-3800 kHz in the (VK) evenings.
>
> Reports from VK and ZL point to it being north-west of Australia. JA's
> and W's during QSOs with VK also say they can detect the signal but at
> a lower strength.
>
> It's an unwelcome reminder of the havoc caused by the over-the-horizon
> radar dubbed the Russian Woodpecker that fired up in 1976 and lasted a
> decade. Hopefully this latest pulse signal is not another OTHR.
>
> A repetitive cyclic sounding pulse signal is also being experienced in
> VK on most amateur HF bands and often simultaneously on more than one
> band.

> [...]

Here in Santa Ana I seem to be picking up what sounds like sped-up time
signals (no call letters etc.) on the same frequencies. Please give a
listen if you're into shortwave & let us know. Thanks, Alan