anomalous vlf

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Wed Jun 8 16:38:31 CEST 2005

anomalous vlf

http://www.asondheim.org/antelopevlf.jpg
http://www.asondheim.org/antelope4.mp3
recorded Antelope Island, Great Salt Lake, Utah, 7 p.m.
notes:
1. at the beginning, the sound of the minidisk player is evident, in spite
of the fact no microphone is used.
2. my calling 'Azure' is distinctly audible, again in spite of the fact no
microphone is used. this calls for further investigation; somehow the
apparatus was picking up my voice, in spite of the fact it was tuned for
vlf only.
3. note at the beginning _i forgot to turn the radio itself on,_ and
therefore there was increased sensitivity with the AVC in the recorder.
this might have something to do with it.
4. even through the modification to the vlf sound itself (through modified
chorus with four voices and high feedback), the sound of footprints is
audible at the beginning - in spite of the fact that the _AVC is
desensitized at this point._ i can only conclude that the conductivity of
the ground (the unit goes to earth of course) is transformed by pressure
waves which travel outwards from walking.
5. on the other hand, there are moments _when footprints are heard and no
walking occurs._ could this be another phenomenon altogether?
6. one may hear for oneself at http://www.asondheim.org/azurevlf.mp3 .
this is of course only a very small segment of a number of recordings at
this and other Antelope Island sites.
7. one may speculate on the presence of _ghosts_ or _animals_ on one hand
(there were, of course, antelope, as well as bison, rabbits, jackrabbits,
etc. in the vicinity - see http://www.asondheim.org/antelopebison.jpg ) -
and, on the other, something in the nature of the salted air (the lake is
extremely saline and the shore is not far off) that creates the effect.
8. be that as it may, the recording on the island was the clearest and
densest to date, which is to be expected, given the unique nature of the
terrain.
9. 'we await further results with eager anticipation.'