New Reviews on Furtherfield.org (July 05)

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Thu Jul 7 20:24:40 CEST 2005

*New Reviews on Furtherfield.org (July 05)*

http://www.furtherfield.org

Scream(v0.1) by Amy Alexander.
Following a theme found in several of Amy Alexander's previous works,
Scream blurs the traditional distinctions between work and play. The
effects of computers on our leisure time - and vice versa - is an
important and still relatively under explored area in the analysis of
our current social and political realities, despite the fact that "it's
hard to tell work from play anymore. We seem always to be working - even
when we're playing. Reviewer: Chris Joseph.
Direct link: http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?review_id=149

Grafik Dynamo by - Kate Armstrong Michael Tippett, on Turbelance.org.
When I first encountered Kate Armstrong and Michael Tippett's Grafik
Dynamo after reading a brief description on the Turbulence website, it
made me think of the concept referred to as the "Internet Hive Mind."
While I don't subscribe to this concept as such, my initial thought when
viewing Grafik Dynamo was, "is this an example of what collective
consciousness looks like?" Reviewer: Alison Coleman.
Direct links: http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?review_id=152

House Gymnastics by Harrison&Ford.
Whilst discussing about boredom with each other in the upstairs hallway,
fed up with everything, wanting something different, fresh and alive.
They both realized that they had both reached a crossroads regarding the
context of their creativity. An important era was born, and out of this
meeting they busted their first moves. The Brace was conceived and
perfected that one afternoon and several experimental versions of moves
followed.
Reviewer: Joachim Desarmenien.
Direct link: http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?review_id=150

Why Rock? by Annie Abrahams & Clément Charmet, at Turbulence.org.
As part of the guest curator's season at Turbulence.org, Annie Abrahams
and Clement Charmet have brought together a variety of digital artists
perhaps more well known for their visual arts than musical explorations.
Under the banner of Why Rock? The pieces presented offer an intriguing
exploration of digital music's potential. One that is more aligned to
ideas of DIY punk than what we imagine the current music scene to be.
Reviewer: Mark R. Hancock.
Direct link: http://www.furtherfield.org/displayartist.php?artist_id=205

Call 1 800 interact... by Martha Carrer Cruz Gabriel.
Bringing together voice and image to build a visual mosaic of users
chosen colours, Voicemosaic allows us to hear the voices of people
dropping by and saying a few words (mostly in Portuguese, and English)
to be part of the project. Voicemosaic shows a screen that maps
participation as it arrives from several different geographical areas,
in different languages and different times, and from this something is
meant to be produced. Reviewer: Joachim Desarmenien.
Direct link:
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=144

All reviews:
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreviews.php