[syndicate] Eyes of Laura

Aliette Guibert guibertc at criticalsecret.com
Thu Feb 3 21:37:03 CET 2005

Not really Spam.

Very insteresting as enigmatic art process regarding a strange polysemic
dynasty from Laure's eyes.

Laura's eyes, the film, was the story of any woman predictiving the
immediate of people she regarded. "Laure's eyes" a book by Jacques Lacan
(reminding of Bataille's Laure's eyes)... on transfert in psychoanalisis :
regarding Laure's eyes crying it does not tell really about the suffering of
the patient to the psychoanalysis. Laure's eyes in George Bataille works is
the real regard of Laure - Colette Peignot who died cause tuberculosis - or
sacrifice ?

"Les écrits de Laure", published by George Bataille and Michel Leiris, are
letters between Laure, Simone Weill, Boris Souvarine, Pierre and Jenny
Pascal.

Here is an abstract in citylights bookstore site (at Cisco)
http://www.citylights.com/pub/catalog/BClaure.html

Quote :

Laure (1903-1938) was a revolutionary poet, masochist Catholic rich girl, &
world traveler. Toward the end of her life she became the lover of French
writer Georges Bataille. Her writings and her real life story were
remarkable in their violence and intensity, and her relationships with
Bataille and Michel Leiris clearly influenced their works.

This complete collection of writings published for the first time in English
includes "Story of a Little Girl," about the Catholic priest who sexually
molested her sister; "The Sacred," a collection of poems and fragments on
mysticism and eroticism; notes on her association with contr-attaque and
acéphale, and her involvement with the Spanish Civil War and the early years
of the Soviet Union; a compendium of correspondence with her beloved
sister-in-law, and tortured love letters to Bataille; and an essay by
Bataille about Laure's death of tuberculosis at the age of thirty-five.

  "People describe Laure as pure, dissolute, dark, luminous. 'I drank, I
bathed in her radiant purity' Jean Bernier says. Leiris writes about her
lyrically in fourbis and frêle bruit as 'the saint of the chasm.' Bataille
calls her uncompromising, pure, and sovereign. It is tempting to romanticize
Laure - in the most sublime and violent sense - as consumptive poet, a
fervent revolutionary, Bataille's great love. But if she is radiant and
dirty, she is also insolent. That, it seems, is what saves her." - Jeanine
Herman.

  It is to know that Sylvia Bataille the actress (specially famous playing
the girl in Jean Renoir's "Partie de campagne") was Bataille's first wife
and she became Lacan's wife.