[_arc.hive_] NEW [N]+Semble MP3 Album

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Sun Dec 18 07:58:36 CET 2005

You're taking on BlueNote here, was just listening to Herbie Hancock DVD
the other day, incredible stuff, this fits right in, thought the 4/4 would
remain really appreciated the waltztime although wondered about the
calliope effect or what I read as such - btw if you have any comments on
the mp3s I've put up wd be glad to hear them - curious about the
instrumentation you're referencing - this is so fucking sophisticated -
clean - brings back memories of Downbeat magazine, that's still going but
it's lost the edge from the Jones' Applecores days - anyway - you've even
got the snare/hihat in there w/ the echo & that high flute - cool or even
cold version of Mingus - then again I love the being-there of jazz, the
_body_ of it, the real-time edge to it - can't stand those latenight
talkshow bands - Paul Shaffer - all this cymbal work - there's an odd
repression to at least the bands I've listened to - keeping the equalizer
even-paced - I miss Cherry, Pharoah Sanders - that fucking dates me - well
I used to go walking thru Cabbagetown - this is the revised edition -
after the new money moved in - where's Walker Evans when we need him -
there's an existential aspect to the being-outside-of-time in these peaces
- that's cresendos and diminuendos as if there were solos - but then more
- coming in - Ascension on quaaludes to the incandescent power (The Ogre)
- tuned in tuned down - one of the problems I've got w/ digital - there's
no noyz boyz - no string buzz cough breath errors - don't know if you
listened to the Track stuff I've got up - it's all that - noyz of acoustic
guitar - buzz/ - errors - strin/g slippage - hammer on w/ nail click -
times you can hardly here the cords - alway/s had a problem w/ vibraphone
btw - played xylophone at 1 point - again that hammer sound - vp takes it
all out - anyway - west coast jazz - cool jazz - continuous transmutation
of form - wonder about the beat - the 4/4/4 the most part but then I'm
tired of breathing that way - prefer the 1/1 of fast new music - which can
go to X/Y or any such - depends and usually doesn't - or nothing - when
Ayler and friends loosen out into that boundary no-man's no-woman's either
between open/close statements - lost in the bridge of infinitude -
infinite speedup sends it Coleman or sum such - those fast riffs all
orderly - I'm always wondering about beauty - that split in yr work -
between the scratch-lexture and the cool jazz stuff - prefer the chalk but
that's the annihilation/apocalypse in me talking - these are unutterably
beautiful - alan

For URLs, DVDs, CDs, books/etc. see http://www.asondheim.org/advert.txt .
Contact: Alan Sondheim, sondheim at panix.com, sondheim at gmail.com. General
directory of work: http://www.asondheim.org .