Who is creating reality, now?

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Mon Oct 25 17:16:00 CEST 2004

One of GWB's advisors told Ron Suskind of the Wall Street Journal:
'The reality-based community is not the way the world really works
any more.  We're an empire now and, when we act, we create our own
reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as
you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you
can study too, and that's how things will sort out.  We're history's
actors ... and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we
do'.

This ended up in the New York Times magazine this Sunday. It also
ended up in the British comedy show Monthy Python. With the recent
news from Iraq, it rings very, very hollow. The tragedy of this White
House is that president's advisers are even more arrogant and
indolent than himself.

They live in the surreal world of memos and meetings, and proably
cannot even imagine how the real world looks like. I doubt that they
wanted to create a reality in which Iraqi resistance will control 380
tons of high explosives (of which 1 pound is enough to blow an
airplane). I recommend sending all the young lawyers from this White
House to a toor of duty in Iraq. Six months at least. NOT in the
office.

One may say that New York Times is bringing up all those stories that
make Bush administration look bad now a week before the elections,
because the NYT declared itself as an enemy of the GWB. But the NYT
could not have envisioned what would happen yesterday in Mandali. The
president's "instinct" also failed to predict that. Maybe Bush lost
his direct line to God?

Nowhere in occupied Europe during the WW II were resistance fighters
able to round up and execute 50 Nazi-collaborators in a single ambush
at any time between 1939 and 1945. While at the same time trucking
explosives away from hundreds of miles distant site. AND blowing up
two car bombs, killing 18. AND launching a missile at the Camp
Victory [sic!], killing a US diplomat. All in different parts of the
country. Doesn't this tell us that the US has less control over Iraq
today than Germany had over France or Serbia in 1943?

With hundreds of tons of the most dangerous conventional explosives
being stolen from Al Qaqaa (it does rhyme nicely with Al Qaeda),
DURING the US occupation, while Americans were busy chasing non-
existent WMD-s, and despite warnings from IAEA (which inspectors
guarded the facility, because those explosives can be used to trigger
nuclear devices), the Iraqi insurgents have supplies to create the
reality in Iraq for years to come...

ivo
ps - click here for 100 things that Bush did WRONG:
http://www.thenation.com/special/pdf/100facts.pdf

NY Times stories about Mandali and Al Qaqaa:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/25/international/middleeast/25iraq.html
?oref=login&th
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/25/international/middleeast/25bomb.html
?pagewanted=1&th