Flu

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Mon Oct 25 17:15:59 CEST 2004

When I lived in former Yugoslavia, my mother, who lives in Germany
used to send me medicine. That was a common practice: ill-developed
communist Yugoslavia often faced shortages of important medications,
and Germany was a global leader in pharmaceutical industry. Many
former Yugoslav citizens got their pills from relatives living and
working in Germany.

This year, my mom is going to send me a flu shot. Although I do not
live in former Yugoslavia any more. I live in the U.S. But that
country is too busy building weapons and fighting wars to thinker
about such girlie stuff like producing and procurring vaccines to its
population. So, its citizens, just like citizens of former
Yugoslavia, have to look abroad for help. CDC hopes to import
additional vaccines from Canada. Governor Rod Blagojevich (Serbian-
American, btw) of Illinois hopes to buy 30,000 additional shots from
France. I am getting mine from Germany.

Sure, B2 bombers look good, and neither Canada, nor France, nor
Germany have them. But what use are they against such a real
terrorist enemy like influenza?

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/25/national/25flu.html?th

Ivo Skoric
19 Baxter Street