___ R E A L T O K Y O MAIL MAGAZINE Vol. 201___

Info info at realtokyo.co.jp
Fri Oct 22 06:05:48 CEST 2004

R    E    A    L    T    O    K    Y    O    MAIL MAGAZINE
_____10_22_2004_Fri_vol.201_____ http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

[This Week's Index]

(1) Redesigning Tokyo
Vol. 4: Nishimura Hiroyuki (2-Channel)

(2) Tokyo Initiators' Diary
Maeda Keizo (producer, Conversation) Vol. 009

(3) Event Pick of the Week
Jazz Today at Unit
by Andreas

This week's RT Picks:

art+cinema+music+stage+design+town = 28 events
including 11 new ones!
Plus new entries on our 'book/disk' page.

Check them out!

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

(1) Redesigning Tokyo

Vol. 4: Nishimura Hiroyuki (2-Channel)

You've probably been waiting for today's guest, Nishimura Hiroyuki
(below: Hiroyuki), the Webmaster of the large-scale BBS site
"2-Channel". As you'll know, the feature that distinguishes
2-Channel is the system to post messages anonymously, which means
that the mechanism prevents authors from being identified.
2-Channel has become so popular that the monthly number of users
has reportedly crossed the 5 million mark, and regardless of the
fact that the site is always good for a sensation (and occasional
trouble caused by those who misuse the anonymity policy). Webmaster
Hiroyuki talks coolly and in a straightforward manner about his
"duty" and the present state of 2-Channel.

Read more at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/redesign/004_1.htm

(2) Tokyo Initiators' Diary

Maeda Keizo (producer, Conversation) Vol. 009

The weather this summer was really weird! And the worst thing
is that this seems to be normal these days. Considering the
blistering heat that has visited Tokyo since June, it's a wonder
that no major water shortage, fire or other damage has occurred,
but even without such big accidents the global warming is
obvious, even to an ignorant person like me. I'm the typical
urban consumer who isn't really involved in any environmental
protection or energy saving campaigns, buys his tea in plastic
bottles, and tends to switch on the air conditioning as soon as
it gets a little hot. But every once in a while I can't help
but think about environmental and ecological issues.

Read more at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/shikakenin/maeda-009.htm

(3) Event Pick of the Week

Jazz Today at Unit

As the title suggests, this mini-festival aims to showcase the
"present state" of jazz. To focus on international jazz would
be an unreasonable venture of course, so this time we're only
talking about jazz made in Japan. To be even more precise, the
event features artists from the vicinity of East Works
Entertainment, a label that has been playing a central role in
the domestic (yet spiritually border-crossing) jazz scene.
Highlights include Yoshigaki Yasuhiro's exotic combo Vincent
Atmicus, and the "Japanese Joe Zawinul", Tzboguchi Masayasu in
a keyboard battle with top class musician John Beasley. But it
will also be interesting to see how such artists as Goth-Trad
fit into the "jazz" frame, the scope of which all appearing
artists keep widening anyway.
--Andreas

Details at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/event_cgi/ev_viewE.cgi?2,2092

*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*

              OUT SINCE OCT. 16: ART iT vol. 5

In the Fall/Winter issue:
K Art: The Korean Art Scene

featuring:
- reports on the Busan and Gwangju Biennales + interviews
- ten up-and-coming Korean artists
and more

PLUS:

- Special Supplement: SEOUL CULTURE MAP

available at good bookshops throughout Japan and at
www.amazon.co.jp for 1,400 yen
and from www.amazon.com and selected shops around the world

                   http://www.artit.jp

*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*

Next week on RT:

- Out of Tokyo
- Tokyo Initiators' Diary

and more...

In order to make REALTOKYO even more interesting and
Convenient for you, we rely on your feedback. Please send us
opinions or productive suggestions concerning contents,
structure, layouts, etc. Three especially lucky readers who
send a mail to info at realtokyo.co.jp will be chosen and receive
a little gift.

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

------------------------PR-----------------------------------

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

REALTOKYO is looking for advertisers wanting to place banners
on our web site and/or in the mail magazine. Banners will get
lots of hits from people attracted to a web site full of catchy
information on cinema, art, music, theatre and other fun events
in town. Please contact the following email address for
dimensions and costs.

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

------------------------PR-----------------------------------

Please click the URL below to stop receiving email and to
change your password.
http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/scheduler/f_configure_en.htm
Users must go to the page above to make changes to their
services;
REALTOKYO regrets that it is unable to process changes received
by email.

No part of the text or images from this site may be used
without permission from the publisher.

Copyright 2000-2004 REALTOKYO