following orders

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Sun May 16 21:19:15 CEST 2004

Thinking about the Abu Ghraib fallout:

>>Asked by an immigration judge if he had participated in ethnic
cleansing, Konstantinovic [a Serb in Florida facing deportation for
participating in ethnic cleansing in the Balkans] said, ``Yes. I had
to go and do the shooting. Your honor, I wasn't even looking. I
wasn't looking where I was shooting. I had to shoot.''<<

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/world/7467176.htm?1c

They all just follow orders when it comes to facing responsibility
and consequences for their actions, don't they? I wonder if their
superiors ordered them to shoot themselves in their feet, would they
do it, or are they following orders only when the OTHERS are at the
harm's end...

ivo