Monty Cantsin [Istvan Kantor] recevies gg award

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Sun Mar 7 11:05:31 CET 2004

Thank you, George for the details.

nn, i don't know what your artistic
credo is presently, i don't see much except insults
at the adress of the most various people.

Why to accept such a prestigious prize?
If i would know more about your background perhaps
it would be enough to refer to one of the main
criteria of the historical avant-garde, the
unity of life and art. Avant-garde never was seeking
isolation and never aimed to be at the periphery of
society. It's another question that many of these
artists ended at the Gulag, or in best cases were
condemned to oblivion.
I learned for instance that when Lajos Kassak died
- he was one of the most outstanding artist of the Hungarian
avant-garde, he founded among others the international
activist magazine MA - almost everyone was shocked to find
out that he was alive till the late 60's. So much he was
ignored, that people beleived that he was dead since longtime.
I also learned through an artistic action of Gyorgy
Jovanovics in the 70's where artists and writers
of the historical avant-garde were present,
that those people were happy to gain recognition even
if not personally, but in the work of the next generation.
Jovanovics produced fake radio news in a small
gallery in Budapest that commented the work of the
new generation of the Hungarian avant-garde artists.

So if you would ask me, i am extremely proud that
once in the life, it's not for instance George Bush
who makes news at Reuters, but one of the artists
i appreciate and respect the most.

Look at the body of work of Istvan Kantor/Monty Cantsin,
all communication guerilla, all projects of artistic
appropiation of state priviledges, partly also the
anticopyright movement, poetry performers,
noise producers, they all  owe him something. Not speaking
about the robotics performances that so far have been
not appropiated, nothing even similar is experienced
or produced. Why would he not gain recognition?

greetings,
Anna