[syndicate] Reviews of books I like and more -

James Allan james at teleportacia.org
Sat Jun 19 00:43:08 CEST 2004

Alan Sondheim wrote:
 > Anyone know the history of sans serif?

http://www.webreference.com/dlab/9802/sansserif.html

Not so early (if a quick web check is accurate); 1816, UK was the first
appearance. What I recall, from days spent at the Archives of Ontario,
is it's 19th century use was in adverts and used as a stop or punch
("Improved", "And" etc.) and if the site below is correct things haven't
changed:

from: http://www.redsun.com/type/classification/

Research has unveiled that we grasp words as a whole by comparing with
the acquired samples in our brain. Serifs help us recognizing these
samples. A sans serif text has to be read letter by letter. Well, long
texts are unfavorable. It is recommended that you use sans serif faces
for small (smaller than 8pt) and very large sizes. Therefore, sans serif
faces are used for footnotes and headlines. Generally one serif (used
for body text) and one sans serif are a good mixture.