CAE - open letter of protest - request for signatories

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Sat Jun 5 09:40:18 CEST 2004

When I first got arrested, nothing changed in my environment,
the math class continued after the police picked me up from school,
the trams continued their way on the tracks , the vendors continued
selling ther stuff on the street, the trees continued blossoming,
and people continued drinking their beer on the terrasses.

We found out from the radio later that William Least Heat Moon, an Indian
poet, the delegate of the United States at the Cultural Forum in Budapest
protested about the conditions of the intellectuals in Romania,
specially that a poet belonging to our group, and admonished
the Romanian authorities to consider intellectuals national treasure.
William Least Heat Moon also replied ironically when the Romanian
delegate informed the Forum that the Hungarian minority, and specially
the intellectuals   have all the rights in Romania, and asked all the delegetes
to make know the name of the silent poets everywhere in the world.

We had the impression that if even everything else fails, the Indians
come through the Bering Strait and Siberia, and they will not let us down.

Since than I sign all letters of protest... And I will sign this one too in the defense of
Steven Kurtz. However, I must admit /and this is a rare occasion that I agree
with nn/ that this is one of the most vague protes letter in my signature career.
Better would be perhaps to follow Marina Griznic's advise and send
protest letters to all US Emabssies, possibly with stronger statements.

best regards,
Anna Balint