ADC Update: Contact ADC if Approache

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Tue Jul 20 05:13:29 CEST 2004

"voluntary interviews"? that's marvelous. we had that in yugoslavia.
i went to about a dozen of them. the state security service there
called it "informative discussions". they even offered not to
handcuff you if you went with them peacefully. later you were
supposed to come on your own. finally they would try to make you feel
like an informant. however, this was all part of my political asylum
case, I mean measures like that in other country judged by the court
in this country were enough to grant me political asylum from that
other country. Now this country is introducing the same things that
did not work elsewhere. This is an evolution from the
http://www.adc.org/index.php?id=2233, where ADC gives advice to
people to contact FBI if victims of hate crime. Now they are to
contact ADC if approached by FBI. What is next?
ivo

ADC Update:
Contact ADC if Approached by the FBI

The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC) has noted a
recent
wave of reports from across the country indicating that FBI agents are
contacting Arab and Muslim Americans, including citizens, for what
has been
described as voluntary interviews. ADC would like to remind members
of the
Arab, Muslim, and Arab-American communities that equal protection and
due
process rights are afforded to everyone, including non-citizens, in
the
United States.

Unlike previous initiatives, the FBI has not communicated to ADC any
plans
to conduct such interviews. ADC urges anyone who is contacted by the
FBI to
contact the ADC Legal Department and provide details of the incident
by
calling (202) 244-2990, sending a fax to (202) 244-3196, or via email
legal at adc.org.

Upon request, ADC will do its best to provide third party observers,
in
cases where potential interviewees would want such additional
safeguards.
Additional useful "Know Your Rights" information can be found on the
ADC
website at: http://www.adc.org/index.php?id=275 .

ADC offers the following guidelines to anyone who is contacted by the
FBI or
other law enforcement agencies.

1) Make sure an attorney is present at all times during any voluntary
interview the person may choose to attend. It is important to note
that
everything you say to an FBI agent or other law enforcement
representative
is recorded, nothing is ˜off the record,™ including immigration