second

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Fri Jan 9 04:41:08 CET 2004

second

at the Metropolitan today, looking at Oribe and Mino ware. Momoyama
period. then rereading my Antarctic writings from Hobart (Tasmania), 1982.
'Who controls discourse controls the law.' listen: 'the body an inductive
body, the play of logics extending everywhere, collapse and extensions of
spectrums, running-on, probabilistic wave-function, union extends and
intersection blurs, the former altering distributivity. the editorializing
body operating within a limited bandwidth, a situation of sampling through
the elocution of the gesture, the sway, field phenomena melding, crossing
the skin, adjacent holes.' doesn't this - two + decades later - become the
network society - as if it never existed in the first place, a priori?
something I was aware of back in 71, with my analysis of the tangled
holarchies of immersive and definable structures - how one looks at things
through time, how things may remain outside of time, outside of
temporality, how humans bring time to things. and here from 82 is the net:
'body-centered, it is the body which extends, consciousness as a wake
following, recuperating the extensions through language. images play
across the surface; these are ingested, failing distributivity. the images
as phenomenological appetition, a process of accretion.' 'the body of
thought as in a body of water.' look for the packet-sniffers, on an
average day I receive 500 emails, of which only perhaps 360 are spam. how
can one remember the distinctions among Oribe and Mino, the Chinese 17th-
century Nanking painters, the enormous collection of Japanese work in the
Bridge of Dreams show we saw years ago? images pour through the world,
falling into adjacencies. I can't keep distinctions, separations; my work
is cultural flux, not the exigencies of boundary-formations, not even the
margins - the world folds in on itself. and reading in this regard
Shaviro, who I think gets networks 'wrong' - begin with the thing and the
arrow, the protocol and the carrying-capacity; extend through looping and
filtration - one might find networks are precisely dead, hillside skeins,
whose content is otherwise-driven, and never to encounter itself - no more
than one phonecall can understand another. enough notes, and I wish I
could sign this Jennifer. [third]

_