Bizzare Passion

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Sun Feb 29 04:33:22 CET 2004

Ok. I watched the Passion. I was excited to see that I understood
most of the dialogue in Latin without reading subtitles. Although my
high school grades would not suggest such proficiency. It may be that
the Latin dialogue was actually very simple, like: "go" or "you,
idiot" or "king of jews" (rex iudeorum). Which should be consistent
with who spoke Latin in the movie: uneducated brutes in the imperial
army. Those who joined because it was an easy way out of poverty. As
Romans in an occupied province they could overcome their inferiority
complex by getting off on flogging local transgressors to death.
Because that's what the film is really all about. And as it is in all
Mel Gibson movies (regardless whether he is an actor, director, ot
both) the torture is depicted with the most gruesome realism, and
meticulous attention to the detail. The guy simply gets off on pain.
"Braveheart" at least had some story besides the torture. "Passion"
is all about torture. Main charcter (Jesus) is tortured from the very
beginning (when we see him painfully worried - he tortures himself
thinking about what is about to happen to him) to the very end of the
film. So, if you are into whipping scenes, Passion offers some of the
best shots in Hollywood history. What perplexes me, nevertheless, are
the clean-cut people in nice clothes outside the theaters that are
distributing fliers, cards, using the opportunity to proselitize and
preach. They come in droves to see the film, dressed as if they are
going to a mass. They come as families with children. And they would
absolutely never allow their children to see such a movie under any
other circumstances. No. They would fight to get that movie banned
from the theaters for the blood and gore. But here this is allegedly
the real story of Christ, so they are blinded by the purpose and do
not see the actual graphic violence of the movie. Pain is at the root
of faith. Love is a distant cousin, that faintly appears only in
memories. And the message is devoured by the right as a gospel. I've
heard there are groups that buy blocks of tickets to see the movie
together. There is something uncanny spectacular with two guys
literally panting exhausted from flaying a man, isn't it?

ivo