Fw: Catchy Name

Pall Thayer pall at fa.is
Mon Feb 23 10:45:55 CET 2004

> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
> February 20, 2004
> Turbulence Guest Curator: Andy Deck
>
> "Catchy Name: An Idiosyncratic Concept"
> http://turbulence.org/curators/deck/catchyName/
>
> "Catchy Name" includes:
>
> * PANSE by Paul Thayer
> * Visual Composer by Gicheol Lee
> * Phonemer by Eric Hreha
> * Errata/Erratum by Paul Miller, a.k.a. DJ Spooky
>
> Ways of mixing and composing audio within the Web browser have been
catching on recently. While there are many differences between traditional
instruments and software interfaces, between bands and anonymous
collaboration via bandwidth, and between live music and streaming data, the
works featured in "Catchy Name" demonstrate that software can have "an
intelligible and accessible character (that) calls forth skilled and active
human engagement" (Albert Borgmann).

> The emergence of these modes of creativity has blurred the borders between
musician and audience, and between artist and spectator. Whether we focus on
the intellectual property issues or the merits of participation in music and
art, our prescriptions for the future should reflect the changes before our
eyes and ears. The limits and possibilities suggested by these world-wide
instruments may be a good starting point for evaluating the cultural and
technological moment.

> Deck's survey of online sound experiments focuses attention on these new
forms of collaboration and creativity, which tend to resemble both art and
instrument. In doing so it takes a step itself, blurring the boundary
between traditional curation and art making.  As curator/artist, Deck
contributed an audio chat environment, named Vocalog, to the project.  Users
may discuss the work via the Vocalog.

> BIOGRAPHY
>
> Andy Deck is an American media artist specializing in Internet art. His
work addresses the politics and aesthetics of collaboration, interactivity,
software, and independent media.