RNC Spin Doctors - Call for Participation

Ahmi Wolf ahmi at steim.nl
Wed Aug 11 18:22:52 CEST 2004

Apologies for cross-listings. Please forward to any one that might be
interested:

+++++++++++++++++++++++
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION!
+++++++++++++++++++++++

Around the world, video cameras have become weapons against the
atrocities of aggressive regimes, and at the same time serve as
powerful tools for spin doctors of all predispositions. With the
Republican National Convention headed into town, the spin doctoring is
likely to take us all for a whirl! Rather than be just be dragged along
for the ride, we invite you to use a video camera to voice your own
spin on the global and local situation.

Submit your videos to the CoDECK (instructions below), and then come
sit in front of a TV with a cup of coffee and take yourself on a spin
of your making. The CoDECK is an interactive video database in the form
of a 1970’s Betamax VCR, and between Monday, August 23 and Friday,
September 3 (the week preceding and week of the RNC), it will be
hanging out at alt.coffee, where you can take your activism out of the
sweltering heat, sit on a couch with a cold drink, scroll through
people’s many points of view and respond to them…

That’s right, respond! Use the CoDECK to bolster a community of people
actively involved in observing and responding both to the current
situation and to one another's points of view. The CoDECK creates a
self programmed, self moderated television channel, and there are at
least three way to respond to what you see: you can post your own video
in response, post a written response through a web browser, or use the
webcam attached to the TV to record a live video response.
(http://codeck.net)

Fancy editing is not required, and you can continue to submit videos
throughout the RNC. Some videos will be aired on Manhattan Neighborhood
Network during prime time RNC broadcast, and in November the glorious
collection of videos we end up with will be exhibited again in Sao
Paulo, Brazil.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Instructions for submitting a video:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

(easy!) go to http://codeck.itp.tsoa.nyu.edu/upload.php and fill out
the form with any of the data you wish to leave. At the bottom of the
form you can attach your movie and an optional thumbnail. Press submit
and wait as it uploads. When it’s done, your video will be inserted
into the CoDECK queue and be ready for viewing and responding at
alt.coffee

Your video must be a 320x240 or 640x480 video file that is less than
125MB. It can be in any format, but for best results we recommend an
MPEG4 or Quicktime format.

PLEASE NOTE: as of August 23, you can submit your work ONLY from
alt.coffee! We will have a firewire cable on hand, or else bring it on
CDR/DVD or your own hard drive, if it’s mobile.

**alt.coffee is at 139 Avenue A, NYC: http://www.alt.coffee.com for
details**

The CoDECK @ alt.coffee is brought to you by Pursue the Pulse
http://www.pursuethepulse.org  info at pursuethepulse.org