Newsletter No. 11

Iris Pfleging pfleging at kurzfilmtage.de
Thu Mar 20 21:33:30 CET 2003

http://www.shortfilm.de
NEWSLETTER No. 11

EDITORIAL

Dear Readers!

As usual, we would like to use this newsletter to alert you to recently
updated pages and other new additions to our Short Film Magazine. By the
way, you can still find older news items and event information stored in
the Archive section of the magazine.

We are pleased to announce that our lead article this month has been
contributed by a Swedish author, Karolina Lidin, who presents for us
"Filmkontakt Nord". This supranational organisation, headquartered in
Copenhagen, has been a significant force in helping films from the North to
achieve international renown. Filmkontakt Nord is at the same time a good
example of how short film (and documentary film) interests can be
represented professionally beyond national borders.

Pleasant reading!

Reinhard W. Wolf
Editor

mailto:editor at shortfilm.de

TOPIC

Filmkontakt Nord – Gateway to the Nordic Independent Documentary & Short
Film Community

Filmkontakt Nord (FkN) has since its establishment in 1991 by the
independent Nordic short film and documentary community been dedicated to
the advancement and promotion of Nordic short films and documentaries. FkN
assists international film festivals, television buyers, distributors and
journalists as well as the Nordic film professionals.
FkN’s main objective is to serve as a common Nordic platform for a stronger
production and distribution network and a visible united exposure
internationally, joining a strong cultural profile with a market-oriented
perspective.
During its more than 10 years of activity, FkN has established itself as a
central source of information and expertise for the Nordic and
international short film and documentary community.

for the whole story see:
http://www.shortfilm.de/ikf/pages/magazin/index.php?id=112&lang_id=2

NEWS

freedom2speak || 20.03.2003

Shortly before this year's Berlinale, a group of those sceptical about the
impending war initiated the opinion platform "freedom2speak". During the
film festival, a Speaker's Corner was set up at the Cinemaxx, where people
could present their personal statements on the Iraq conflict for the
camera. Festival guests and filmmakers were also invited to shoot short
'Freestyle' films of maximum 3 minutes. By the end of the Berlinale over 80
film-world insiders had provided their active support for the campaign. One
week later the films produced were screened at the Schaubühne in Berlin and
the WDR also televised a 70-minute summary.
Now an Internet platform has also been set up, not only to stream the films
but also to provide a chat forum.
In the words of its founders, "freedom2speak" «is not a political group,
"freedom2speak" is a network that unites film- and media-makers. In a
monocultural media landscape we feel as if our views are subsumed under the
prevailing consensus opinion and have therefore felt compelled to create an
independent platform. Encouraged by the success of the film
`freedom2speak`, we want to continue to support the spread of well-founded
viewpoints in terms of both content and structure. In concrete terms, we
plan to publicise artistic and documentary features and films. We wish to
provide a forum for discussion in order to give reason a chance».
A cinema trailer and a video of statements and freestyle films can be
ordered at "freedom2speak". Some of those who provided either statements or
films are: Heino Ferch, Suzanne von Borsody, Lars Rudolph, Fred Kelemen,
Christian Petzold, Richard Kwietniowski and Jack Valenti.

Contact: http://www.freedom2speak.com

More News:
- US military plans short film on Iraq conflict
- AG Kurzfilm presents German short film in Berlin and Clermont-Ferrand
- Berlinale Talent Campus – to be continued
- Cannes Film Festival appoints jury president

Further information:
http://www.shortfilm.de/ikf/pages/magazin/index.php?id=389&lang_id=2

FAITS DIVERS

- "World's Smallest Film Festival" presents films for mobile phones
- Hong Kong: Videotage Online Gallery
- 3 new touring programmes from Sixpackfilm
- New tapes at Re-Voir
- Short Film Agency Hamburg distributes film about projectionists
- Greece: t-short distributes short films

Further information:
http://www.shortfilm.de/ikf/pages/magazin/index.php?id=59&lang_id=2

AWARDS AND HONOURS

- Preis der deutschen Filmkritik (German Film Critics Association)
- XVII Premios Goya, Spain
- 26th Goteborg Film Festival, Sweden
- 38th Guldbagge Awards, Stockholm
- IMAGINA 03, Monte Carlo
- Festival du court mètrage Clemont-Ferrand, France
- 75th Annual Acadamy Awards Nominations
- Internationale Film Festival Berlin
- US Super 8mm & Digital Video Festival, New Brunswick
- British Academy Award (BAFTA)
- Filmfestival Turkey - Germany, Nürnberg
- Intel Tropfest 2003, Sydney
- 18th Pan-African Film FESPACO, Ouagadougou
- Int. Filmfestival Fantasporto, Portugal
- 9th Annual Sedona International Film Festival, USA
- Tampere Film Festival, Finland
- Cinequest Film Festival, San Jose

Further information:
http://www.shortfilm.de/ikf/pages/magazin/index.php?id=60&lang_id=2

DATES

Festivals in Germany
International Festivals
Deadlines

Further information:
http://www.shortfilm.de/ikf/pages/magazin/index.php?id=113&lang_id=2

If you would like to unsubscribe to this newsletter:
http://www.shortfilm.de/ikf/pages/magazin/index.php?id=100&lang_id=2