[syndicate]

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Sat Mar 1 04:36:58 CET 2003

Judea was highly literate for only about 1600-2000 years beforehand. The
number of languages is enormous. Akkadian, Elamite, Ugaritic, Aramaic,
Hebrew, Assyrian, all intermingled. There were alphabetics from Phoenician
and other areas; Ugaritic, I believe, had a cuneiform alphabetic.
Palestine was always in the wider world; it was an enormous confluence of
cultures. Hittite and Egyptian met there for example. - Alan