End of artificial respiration on syndicate

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Fri Jun 13 11:28:36 CEST 2003

Dear syndicalists,

Curfew was our first experience of any intervention
in the syndicate list's flow. We hope it was transparent
and interesting for you as well. We have collected the mails
arriving - technology makes such a thing so simple,
the sympa software allows us to choose from a dozen of options
between a private and an open list - and we have allowed
each mail on the list after several hours.
We did not delete mails, we did not moderate discussions.
But time traveling of the mails - even withing such a short interval
of about 12 hours - was very effective in cutting the line
of chat mails and immediate responses flowing on the list.

These days were interesting and highly experimental also in
light of the list's history: we tried to find a way of
administration that is not based on selection, on distinguishing
first class and second class subscribers, friends and non-friends
of the list end of the administartors, we concentrated to not
moderate the messages. It was of the greatest help the collaboration
between the fire guard persosn, and specially the wise advises
of Frederic Madre. If you liked this measure on the list, it's
him to praize.

A conclusion we can draw from this experience is that counting
till ten before pushing the reply button is perhaps enough
to set rolling the deteroration of a mailing list into a chatroom.
We encourage replies, comments, critiques on the content
of the mails, we hope that remains evident for you all,
syndicate is an open mailinglist, but it's not of our main goal to
give room to off-topic chats that we assume that it is not
of the interest of all subscribers.

There were several unsubscription requests these days reaching
the list: we did not unsubscribe anyone, we hope that people
are skilled enough by now to find the way out themselves.

After the list slowed down, I have set back this morning
the list's options to the usual, non-moderated version.
Thank you for everybody for the support mails arriving these
days in private mailboxes.

greetings,
Anna Balint