death after life, life after death, a call

anna balint epistolaris at freemail.hu
Mon Jun 23 12:13:31 CEST 2003

Well, things end,

Monty Cantsin, though s/he was a very open pop star, simply changed his name,
Luther Blisset committed seppuku at the beginning of the
new millenium, at the same time Wu Ming also committed suicide,
Keiko Suzuki vanished,
Darko Maver died in a prison in Podgorica, in 1999, and as it often happens
with artists, his art was much discussed only after his death, at the
Venice Biennale in 1999,
Hakim Bey is still with us, the Beywatch's report revealed though that he
shows up mainly where a certain P.L. W. is also present,
it's a shame, but we heard of H. C. Zabludovsky, the famous Croatian scientist
only long after he died, but at least now his memory is better preserved
through a memorial plaque on the house of at Sestinki dol 65b in Zagreb,

and now

Netochka Nezvanova seemed to disappear mysteriously with her Ferrari,
all we know is some sad news that transpired out from the ferrarichat.com...

What a  long series of tragedies! - and i am also
personally concerned in one person's story.
I try to keep alive Colonel Guszev's memory,
to bring some risk in my life.

When I was sixteen a friend revealed me the hidden relationship between the
the name of the streets and the mortality of  people living in that street.
He said that he could prove that in the streets of which
the name changes often, the mortality is much higher, people live
considerably less long there than in an average street with a constant name.
Hearing this theory I felt my life in immediate danger, because my street's
name changed more than ten times in a decade.
I started to call my street on its pre-WWI name if I wanted to tell my address,
and orientate friends. Anyway none could follow the official denominations,
and so much it was terrible also that in Romania at that time people were not
allowed to know their own city, there were no maps available about any
city in the country.
In the last ten years maps were printed about my city as well, and anyone can
find my street on it. Also its name changed only three times, and it is
stable now since some 8 years, it's a small street called now 'Boulevard of
Heroes'.
So that my life is much more safe, almost boring, though in this last years
happened / exactly with me / that the City Council has moved the
entrance door of the house where i was living in Amsterdam from the
Kloveniersburgwaal to Zandstraat, so my adress changed while
staying in the same house.

Now that I live in Budapest, this kind of address changes seem to be
definitively over: my street's name changed only once in the last ten
years. I started to miss changes and i looked up the meaning of the
previous name of my street.
I found out that my street was named in the 80's after Colonel Guszev, a
Russian hero that helped a lot Hungarian soldiers in the 1848 revolution.
Looking more closely I discovered that this character was invented in the 1960s
by Hungarian historians who wanted to prove the mutual friendship between the
Russian and Hungarian army at that time, despite the fact that Russian army
suppressed the Hungarian revolution in 1848. Colonel Guszev was casted in
history books, essays, school manuals, and he got to be cut out from everywhere
now since a while. I thought that it would be a pity that this character of the
history would been forgot and lost for all together with my street's brand new
name.

So I still use to give sometimes my 'previous' address for friends. If you feel
like checking once in a while whether the collective memory preserves for  a
decade such a heroic character who risked his own life for helping the
Hungarian army, and if you eould like to check whether postmen remember where
my street could be located, and if you want to gain comparative data about oral
and written history, also some data to predict NN's afterlife, please
send a snail mail to

Anna Balint
1051 Budapest
Guszev utca 9 III/4