[syndicate] Re: Re: Subject: Re: From:

Florian Cramer cantsin at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Feb 11 15:59:23 CET 2003

Am Dienstag, 11. Februar 2003 um 15:18:36 Uhr (+0100) schrieb Fr. M.:
> At 14:09 07/02/2003 +0100, Florian Cramer wrote:

> >The initial idea was to create a weekly digest of artistic posting that
> >got rejected by Nettime moderators (including material by Sondheim, mez,
> >and others that hardly made it from nettime-bold to nettime-l), as an
> >alternative to a moderation fork.
>
> oh, and that it is digested makes it acceptable to the moderated nettime ?
> that they are no more individual mails or that they have been curated
> adding some kind of seriosity to the whole thing ?

I think that the Nettime moderation team is chiefly interested in
providing space for critical debates and keep a lid on non-discussion
E-Mail.  (This applies to codework as well as to announcements of events
and publications.) Their reasons are sound, the results no less - as,
for example, the recent Nettime thread on rhizome shows. Unstable digest
offers a way that both Nettime and E-Mail art/experimental net writing
can coexist, and for me, the overall advantages of this outnumber the
disavantages.

> >digests from single archived txt files, and now changed it so that the
> >"To:" header gets included.
>
> great, I think it definitely enhances it.

Me too, what a stupid failure. - An advantage of collating the digests
with a Perl script is that it's a snap to recreate all previous digests
with "To:" headers included.

> >announcer], perhaps the most important one being that it locks art that
> >is meant to be disruptive in its original context into a ghetto. On the
>
> is it meant to be disruptive ? sometimes perhaps, but in most cases not.

I agree, and that's why I don't feel bad filtering it into a curated
digest. Still, the fact that Nettime normally moderates it out shows
that it is being perceived as disruptive in the one or the other way.

... What I really would like to do is write a detailed analysis/comment
of one unstable digest here on syndicate to defend what I like and
explain what I find interesting in it. Problem is that I am suffering
from work overload in the final week of the term. But I won't forget
that and reply sooner or later. For the time being, I enclose my Moscow
jury notes regarding an older piece of mez.

Bests,

-F