MAG - Fall Issue, 2003

august highland litob at san.rr.com
Fri Dec 12 11:52:04 CET 2003

Dear MAG Contributors,

The fall issue of the MAG will appear on the 14-15 of December.

This is the most comprehensive issue that has been assembled so far with regard to representing writers from all over the world, which is our mission.

After this issue, the MAG will become a biannual publication in order to accommodate the widening scope of its content.

I have heard that the role of an editor can be a thankless job. But I have never felt this way about editing the MAG. I continue to be inspired by the work I receive, both from regular contributors and new contributors.

I am very pleased at the way that writers are able to identify whether or not the MAG is the suitable literary review for his/her work. The MAG continues to be reflective of a literary landscape that transcends borders - national borders, genre borders, ideological borders, aesthetic borders, and any other artificial border that is divisive and illusory.

The MAG recognizes literature; it does not recognize or favor any one group or style. The MAG is not a club. It does not cater to a "special interest group" or to a special clientele.

The online and print world is rife with hegemonic and bland writing, or pretentious and derivative pap.

The MAG stands apart from this myopia, publishing writers who dare to resist categorization, who not only have talent but are willing to apply that talent in an independent direction.

The MAG is not so much a literary review as a literary festival, presenting the work of the most imaginative and innovative writers from all over the world.

There is no need to spread the word anymore. It's been spread. I receive more submissions in one week than I used to receive in one month. This is another reason for publishing the MAG biannually instead of quarterly.

If you have contributed to the MAG one time and have not contributed again, please know that you are always welcome to send me new material.

If you sent work for the fall issue which is due out in a few days, please proofread your page and report to me any errors that are mine. Also please report any omissions. If you did not supply me with a bio, I will not add it late. Also, if you sent work that had typos, I will not correct them.

In the future, please submit your bio each time you submit new work. Include your full name, date of birth, place of birth, state or country of residence, publishing history, email address (if you want it to be public) and personal website.

I read your submissions as soon as possible. Expect the turnaround time to be anywhere from a couple of weeks to 6 months.

If you would like to become an assistant editor please contact me. If you would like to become a guest co-editor please contact me. If you have contact with an editor or writer in Poland, the Czech Republic, Russia, Japan, Spain or Portugal, please contact me. We are continually building our international relationships and striving to represent contemporary literature from all countries and continents.

Thank you and I wish everyone a joyous holiday season.

Cordially,
August Highland

Muse Apprentice Guild
www.muse-apprentice-guild.com