perfect opportunity for demonstrations to uphold constitutional freedoms

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Tue Aug 19 15:07:51 CEST 2003

Commrade Aschcroftski is coming to speak in a town near you.

ivo

causenet at commoncause.org wrote:CauseNET For August 18th, 2003

Is Ashcroft Looking Over Your Shoulder?
John Ashcroft: Coming to a Town Near You?
On August 19th, Attorney General John Ashcroft will begin traveling
over a dozen U.S. cities to “set the record straight” about
“mischaracterizations” of powers granted to the Justice Department
under the USA Patriot Act. Ashcroft may also advocate for additional
powers proposed by the so-called “Patriot Act II.” ACT NOW!
http://causenet.commoncause.org/afr/mail/oneclick_compose/?alertid=312
7476 "To those who scare peace-loving people with phantoms of lost
liberty my message is this: Your tactics only aid terrorists, for
they
erode our national unity and diminish our resolve." -- John Ashcroft
Common Cause has a long history of advocating for civil liberties. We
continue to monitor the effects of the Patriot Act and its
authorization of government intrusion into lives of average
Americans.
We believe that portions of Patriot Act violate the fundamental
rights
guaranteed to you under the Constitution. Is “Big Brother” Here? He
could be. The USA Patriot Act, passed by Congress shortly after 9/11,
grants the government new authority to investigate not just suspected
terrorists, but you, your neighbor, and any other United States
citizen or resident. For example: 1. The Act expands the government’s
ability to look at your personal records, kept by any organization -
libraries, doctor’s offices, banks - without showing any evidence
that
you are involved in wrong-doing. 2. It also permits the government to
investigate you based on the books you read, the websites you visit,
or Letters-to-the-Editor you write. 3. If you are an activist and
participate in protests against government action you put yourself at
risk of surveillance or even arrest.

For more information:
http://www.aclu.org/SafeandFree/SafeandFree.cfm?ID=12126&c=207 It’s
Time For ACTION. Tell Mr. Ashcroft what you think about the Patriot
Act! Here are three ways you can TAKE ACTION: 1. Send a message to
Mr.
Ashcroft.
http://causenet.commoncause.org/afr/mail/oneclick_compose/?alertid=312
7476 2. Spread the word. Forward this alert to your friends, family,
and co-workers.
http://causenet.commoncause.org/afr/tellafriend/compose/ 3. Attend
the
event with Mr. Ashcroft if he comes to a city near you.
http://www.commoncause.org/action/action.cfm?artid=69&topicid=16

A posting of Victoria Talbot.

This is not a Monadnock Freedom Forum message, but repesents one
citizen's thoughts & concerns.