[syndicate] Re: Re: a SPAM ART chronology

Peter Luining email at ctrlaltdel.org
Wed Aug 20 19:07:48 CEST 2003

Wednesday, August 20, 2003, 4:26:07 PM, fmadre wrote:

>> DISINFORMATION:
>> IN THE SPAM ART STORM (EN)
>> jean-philippe halgand
>> 09/05/2000
>> http://www.pavu.com/netaffects/storm.html

fmadre> what jean-philippe alludes to here is some (one of the then numerous) pleine-
fmadre> peau vs. pavu ruffling of feathers! may 8th 2000 was a great day and not only
fmadre> because an invitation had previously been scheduled for me to eat at clement's
fmadre> apt that evening...

fmadre> ok, so (NOT that I want to get into that debate again) first
fmadre> http://www.pairlist.net/pipermail/palais-tokyo/Week-of-Mon-20000508/001869.html
fmadre> we learn that pavu have decided to unplug their spam machine from the
fmadre> netaffects mailing list because (in short) the subscribers can't take it (!)
fmadre> but they have left it (with all the netaffects publicity) working for palais-
fmadre> tokyo... this outrages us because it means (in short) that the netaffects
fmadre> subscribers can enjoy the "canada dry" entertainment of spamming another list
fmadre> but are not big enough to take it all the way and receive the spam
fmadre> so we are pissed off and I then add the netaffects mailing list to my machine
fmadre> http://www.pairlist.net/pipermail/palais-tokyo/Week-of-Mon-20000508/001871.html
fmadre> and people start using it in retaliation
fmadre> so of course more netaffects subscribers unsub (I think I sent 50 mails myself
fmadre> in an hour or so)
fmadre> peter luining complains (I think, right peter ?) and well, the whole discussion
fmadre> is here
fmadre> http://www.pairlist.net/pipermail/palais-tokyo/Week-of-Mon-20000508

Yep, your right. Remember that some people complaint and unsubbed but
after your action there was a load of people that unsubbed... This was
especially the case because a lot of suscribers just were curious in
the phenomenon netart and probably new to the internet.