[syndicate] Re: a SPAM ART chronology

fmadre at free.fr fmadre at free.fr
Wed Aug 20 16:26:07 CEST 2003

Selon hub at x-arn.org:
> For research purpose and before publication on SPAM ART CENTER, please
> supplement and / or correct this chronology based on dated online documents.

ah!

> Thanks in advance.

ok.

> -----------------------------------
> DD/MM/YYYY :  A SPAM ART CHRONOLOGY
but the archives were trashed twice, there are only the last months here
http://pleine-peau.com/pls-tk!/
I believe that eric maillet has kept it all though
one might ask him, if interested

anyway, before all this there were the 7-11 and american express lists
from which the idea of a web based form sending mail to a list came from
there used to be those weird exchanges between keiko suzuki and trina mould
(avatars for vuk cosic and rachel baker, as you all remember) and somehow I
found out the location for one form producing this. it was tricky to use them
(or it had _become tricky, I don't know if this was the original version or
not) because the form had a very quick refresh meta-tag in it so you had to hit
ESC real fast to be able to catch it and use it. then of course, later on this
was all pulled off the (visible) net because of the law suit threats
http://www.irational.org/american_express/
http://www.irational.org/7-11/
maybe heath bunting has kept the forms somewhere

> DISINFORMATION:
> IN THE SPAM ART STORM (EN)
> jean-philippe halgand
> 09/05/2000
> http://www.pavu.com/netaffects/storm.html

what jean-philippe alludes to here is some (one of the then numerous) pleine-
peau vs. pavu ruffling of feathers! may 8th 2000 was a great day and not only
because an invitation had previously been scheduled for me to eat at clement's
apt that evening...

ok, so (NOT that I want to get into that debate again) first
http://www.pairlist.net/pipermail/palais-tokyo/Week-of-Mon-20000508/001869.html
we learn that pavu have decided to unplug their spam machine from the
netaffects mailing list because (in short) the subscribers can't take it (!)
but they have left it (with all the netaffects publicity) working for palais-
tokyo... this outrages us because it means (in short) that the netaffects
subscribers can enjoy the "canada dry" entertainment of spamming another list
but are not big enough to take it all the way and receive the spam
so we are pissed off and I then add the netaffects mailing list to my machine
http://www.pairlist.net/pipermail/palais-tokyo/Week-of-Mon-20000508/001871.html
and people start using it in retaliation
so of course more netaffects subscribers unsub (I think I sent 50 mails myself
in an hour or so)
peter luining complains (I think, right peter ?) and well, the whole discussion
is here
http://www.pairlist.net/pipermail/palais-tokyo/Week-of-Mon-20000508
(very important now, eh)
etc and later in the evening I go to clement's and we all smile stiffly and he
tells me that jean-philippe was just on the phone and we smile
stiffly

it was a good day, I had to use my AK!

> PRECISION:
> Spam Art Reference: _Monitoring Absorber: A Nettery_ (EN)
> 11/06/2000
> data]h![bleeder
> http://amsterdam.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-bold-0006/msg00112.html

some (uninformed) body told me recently that spam art was invented by alan
sondheim on webartery
I shrugged.

> NODE:
> Interview with mi_ga (EN)
> josephine bosma
> 07/09/2000
> http://www.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-0009/msg00058.html
> http://www.rhizome.org/thread.rhiz?thread=1570&text=1851#1851

simply the best

> ROOT:
> Interview with Frederic Madre (EN)
> josephine bosma
> 07/11/2000
> http://amsterdam.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-0011/msg00049.html
> http://www.rhizome.org/thread.rhiz?thread=1608&text=1914#1914

I'm now available for interviews about something/anything ELSE

> COMMENT:
> spam does dada, dada does spam. (EN)
> Saul Albert
> 20/06/2003