REALTOKYO MM Vol. 126

Andreas andreas at realtokyo.co.jp
Fri Apr 25 07:07:06 CEST 2003

R    E    A    L    T    O    K    Y    O    MAIL MAGAZINE
_____4_25_2003_Fri_vol.126___________ http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

[This Week's Index]

(1) Out of Tokyo
Vol. 61: The Future of Mori Art Museum

(2) Tokyo Editors' Diary
Baba Masataka ("A" magazine) vol. 011

(3) Event Pick of the Week
Burnt Friedman & The Nu Dub Players feat. Jaki Liebezeit:
Just Landed!

This week's RT Picks:

art+cinema+music+stage+design+town = 52 events
including 14 new ones!
Plus new entries on our 'book/disk' page.

Check them out!

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

(1) Out of Tokyo

Vol. 61: The Future of Mori Art Museum
by Ozaki Tetsuya

Roppongi Hills finally opens on 4/25. I went to examine it in a
press preview, and I can say that both the cultural facilities
and the various shops come in an extraordinarily strong line-up.
Disregarding the pros and cons of the "vertically expanding city"
concept, the place will no doubt attract huge crowds of visitors
especially on the first days after the opening. What's interesting
for us at RT, though, is a different aspect. The question is what
kind of influence the "artelligence" advocating Mori Arts Center,
and half a year from now especially also the Mori Art Museum will
have on the Tokyo art scene (or whether they manage to change
anything at all).

Read more at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/column/ozaki61.htm

(2) Tokyo Editors' Diary

Baba Masataka ("A" magazine) vol. 011

For quite a while I've been a fan of photographer Diane Arbus,
who has been taking pictures of people known as "freaks" for their
slightly deformed bodies. I actually think we all carry such
abnormalities with us, and the only difference is that, while for
most of us those are hidden on the inside, in the freaks' cases the
strange parts coincidentally happen to be of a physical nature.
The "freaks" seem to be mirrors of society and mankind. After
continuously focusing on them, Diane Arbus finally committed suicide.

Read more at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/diary/0030-henshucho.htm

(3) Event Pick of the Week

Burnt Friedman & The Nu Dub Players feat. Jaki Liebezeit:
Just Landed!

Finally, Burnt Friedman comes on his first Japan tour. He
cleverly puts together elements of dub and jazz in order to
achieve his magical, electric sound that sometimes turns into
a real gas. This charming mixture is original enough to classify
Friedman as an artist who managed to create his very own style,
which listeners can easily distinguish by hearing just a single
phrase. On this concert tour he brings along no less than former
Can drummer Jaki Liebezeit, and a live set featuring this
miraculous combination that presented us with the brilliant
"Secret Rhythms" album last year is surely one of the best acts
that can happen to a live house stage! The program is going to
include new material of the Nu Dub Players.
This event is definitely a must!
--Ikeda Maiko

Details at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/event_cgi/ev_viewE.cgi?2,1460

Next week on RT:

- Tokyo Editors' Diary

- Presents

and more…

In order to make REALTOKYO even more interesting and convenient
for you, we rely on your feedback. Please send us opinions or
productive suggestions concerning contents, structure, layouts,
etc. Three especially lucky readers who send a mail to
info at realtokyo.co.jp.
will be chosen and receive a little gift.

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

------------------------PR-------------------------------------

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

REALTOKYO is looking for advertisers wanting to place banners on
our web site and/or in the mail magazine. Banners will get lots of
hits from people attracted to a web site full of catchy information
on cinema, art, music, theatre and other fun events in town.
Please contact the following email address for dimensions and costs.

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

Please click the URL below to stop receiving email and to change
your password.
http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/scheduler/f_configure_en.htm
Users must go to the page above to make changes to their services;
REALTOKYO regrets that it is unable to process changes received by
email.

No part of the text or images from this site may be used
without permission from the publisher.

Copyright 2000-2003 REALTOKYO