Where did the freedom go?

Ivo Skoric vze3c9dm at verizon.net
Tue Apr 22 22:08:37 CEST 2003

"An ascendant mafia now rules the United States, and the Prime
Minister is in thrall to it. Together, they empty noble words -
liberation, freedom and democracy - of their true meaning. The
unspoken truth is that behind the bloody conquest of Iraq is the
conquest of us all: of our minds, our humanity and our self-respect
at the very least. If we say and do nothing, victory over us is
assured." (John Pilger, The Independent, 4/20/03)

In the new issue of The Economist you can find a chart - circulation
of UK dailies - % change February to March: all pro-war
newspapers are LOOSING, and Guardian and Independent are
gaining market, giving a clear sign that literate UK public is against
the war.

As it is all over Europe. When was the last time protesters flung a
Molotov coctail at British embassy in Athens? When did youth in
Germany blocked railways to prevent/slow down transport of US
military equipment?

Europeans generally see this war as a conflict between two
lawless states, that both do not recognize the International
Criminal Court, that both possess undisclosed amounts of
weapons of mass destruction, and that both use media to
manipulate their population, with the only distinction of the US
being infinitely more powerful and capable of projecting that force.

However, the lofty words of democracy and freedom, that the US
administration cherish, are mostly heard as cynical mockery
around the world.

And that despite the most advanced lying machine in the history of
propaganda. I made a conscious decision not even to watch the 5
networks enthralled to corporate might.

I, actually, don't even have electricity in my NY apartment (that,
however, is not because of my protest against capitalism, but
because my college-educated, well-bred - unfortunately, however,
rivaling W. in arrogance, ignorance and indolence - American
roommate paid Con-Ed 2 months out of 12 last year).

Maybe other people did the same. In the end Nielsen ratings may
convince them to allow objective reporting to their journalists in
hope to regain viewership.

Lies do not work any more. The best example for that was Iraqi
Minister of Information. In apparent mockery of the 5 networks, he
lied more brazenly and smoothly than them (experience counts, I
guess), creating 'shock and awe' among their producers, who are
currently looking for him in Iraq with job offers: man calmly said
that there are no Americans in Bhagdad, with American tanks
slowly rolling in his background, and he was widely grinning at the
time. Then he disappeared.

He disappeared together with the rest of Iraqi government/military
personnel, except for those that were killed or bribed by the
Americans. The US had no choice but to declare a victory.

History will eventually judge them on the conduct of the war, not on
the decision to wage the war. And so far the reports on that are
inconclusive. It is true that advance was quick, and, indeed, far
less bloody than expected. That was primarily because of lesson
learned in Kosovo and Afghanistan - that bribes to local strongmen
usually work better in wars than stealth aircraft and guided missiles.

Naturally, Iraqis are happy to have gotten rid of a brutal dictator, but
they are not so sure whether the occupier will be less brutal. Then
there are stories about dead unembedded journalists - those who
died under the American fire. The Red Cross reports about piles of
dead civilians. And the disturbing Pentagon's position that it will not
count civilian casualties.

And the war did not even start yet. The unnerving truth is that too
many Saddam's people (including him) just vanished into the sand.
With time they may re-appear here and there doing bad things.
Provoking Americans to do bad things. Making the peaceful
rebuilding of Iraq very difficult, if not impossible.

Thus, happy end is still very far ahead (if ever). Meanwhile, what is
happening to the US, clearly cannot be called 'liberation'. The latest
news is Section 215 of the Patriot Act. Which reminds me very
much of laws we had on books in former Yugoslavia, which
happened to be a communist country. In 1985 State Security
Service (which was basically police trained to do intelligence work,
kind of like what 1000 NYPD officers are going to do under
Operation Atlas, costing New York $13 millions a week - of which
Washington will pay only for 2 weeks this year; which is why
Bloomberg is firing thousands of municipal workers in the city - to
pay for more and more and more police) took my passport away.

They took it on the grounds of "protecting safety of public order and
security of national defense". I got a pro-bono lawyer and I
complained. The answer from the court was that police was right
taking my passport for "protecting safety of public order and
security of national defense" and that if the reason for that was
"protecting safety of public order and security of national defense"
than police did not have to disclose any further information why.

I eventually moved from Croatia to Slovenia (still in Yugoslavia),
because Slovenia was at that time already doing things to spite
Belgrade (federal/military authorities), and got a passport there.
Week later I was in the US - where eventually I got an asylum. The
immigration judge had no problems seeing the persecution in the
actions of Yugoslav State Security Service against me. I wonder
what the judges, and other legal professionals, then think now of
similar laws being passed here in the US, giving FBI similar rights
once held by communist political police?!

Because, what else does Section 215 of the Patriot Act conveys, if
not persecution? It requires you and your organization to co-
operate with FBI in providing them confidential information about
your clients, and it also requires you not to tell anybody anything
about it. The only thing FBI has to show is that the investigation,
for which your cooperation is needed, is related to clandestine
intelligence, or international terrorism, which are both eerie,
fearsome, and very vague formulations. (ACLU holds the view that
Section 215 is unconstitutional)

ivo