\\ a woman

integer at www.god-emil.dk integer at www.god-emil.dk
Tue Apr 22 05:21:21 CEST 2003

> General discussion of current events would overwhelm this list, and
> would be off-topic. But I have no intention of censoring any
> discussion that relates to the work of anyone here. I remember Steve,
> one of the MacWeb3D triumvirate, was loudly booed at the SIGGRAPH
> Web3D Roundup a couple of years ago for showing a work addressing the
> NATO bombing of Kosovo. I was proud of Steve, and impressed by both
> the integrity and execution of his work. We have a lot of artists
> here, and I'm old-fashioned enough to think that the function of art
> is to serve as a social avant garde.

well thats why i started working on the net.. for accessability, immediacy
and lack of censorship..
but i do fear today it is old-fashioned to make political art .. when i do
talks at art schools and universities  most of the questions concern the
soft war ei use and making income form art practice rather than making art
as part of a societal practice.

perhaps with the right wing steering of the world at present the retro
appeal of art as a medium for  challenging perceptions hopefully wont be
long in returning.

melinda