New Net.Art: "RGB (Dancing Pixels)"

Eryk Salvaggio eryk at maine.rr.com
Sat Sep 14 19:38:07 CEST 2002

"RGB (Dancing Pixels)"
http://www.salsabomb.com/RGB/
New Six Rules Compliant [6RC] Net.Art
by Eryk Salvaggio w/ Jessica Johnson,
the first ascii movie star.

Three frames consist of three choices; R, G, and B, for the standard colors of image guns in computer monitors; Red, Green, and Blue. Each choice takes you to an ascii movie of dancer Jessica Johnson, who I filmed with a digital camera. The mpeg was then converted into frames of "compressed ascii", which refreshes at a rate resembling stuttering slow motion. On the Explorer browser you will also have a series of clicks with each frame, making up the rhythm of the dance itself, which is affected on any browser by the speed of your connection and general traffic.

The piece has an interactive composition- you can choose any combination of R, G and B that you like. The work is also in line with my use of ascii as a metaphor for information-mediated reality. The image is abstracted down to it's barest recognizable features, although some people see it as abstract color fields barely comprehensible as an image [particularly on mac's] which is fine with me.

Au Revoir,
-e.