(Fwd) Go AFL-CIO!

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Sat Oct 19 20:27:49 CEST 2002

Date sent:      	Sat, 19 Oct 2002 02:46:09 -0400
To:             	CERJ at igc.org
From:           	CERJ at igc.org
Subject:        	AFL-CIO Weighs In on the Iraq-Attack

 From the VERY busy list <Solidarity4Ever at igc.TopicA.com>.  The first
parenthetical paragraph of commentary is apparently by CERJ correspondent
and <Solidarity4Ever at igc.TopicA.com> list owner Michael Eisenscher. -- John
Wilmerding

Sweeney Ends AFL-CIO's Tight Silence

[A small but significant move, which demonstrates once again that an active
and mobilized rank and file can move the Federation in a direction it would
not otherwise be inclined to take on its own.  Congratulations to all who
contributed to this victory for sanity and justice.  We need to use this
shift to open an ever wider debate on U.S. foreign policy.]

Sweeney Ends AFL-CIO's Tight Silence;
States Labor's Concerns About Iraq War

by Harry Kelber

In a statement addressed to members of Congress, AFL- CIO President John J.
Sweeney said that it is "vital that the Administration present Americans
with the evidence and considerations and make a sober judgment before our
forces are sent to war.  It is, after all, the sons and daughters of
America's working families who will be asked to carry out this mission.  We
must assure them that war is the last option, not the first, used to
resolve this conflict before we ask them to put themselves in harm's way to
protect the rest of us".

The Sweeney statement was issued October 7, just as Congress was debating
whether to give President Bush broad authority to conduct a war against
Iraq.  This is the first time that any AFL-CIO leader has publicly
commented on this issue.  In fact, national union leaders and their
publications have steadfastly ignored all aspects of the 'war against
terrorism', ever since President Bush announced it one year ago.

Sweeney opposes a unilateral, pre-emptive war.  He says: "... the stakes in
this national debate reach well beyond the immediate issue of Iraq's
dictatorship.  We must deal with Hussein's lawlessness in a manner that
enforces international law.  We must treat his defiance of the United
Nations in a manner that respects that crucial institution and all it
stands for.  We must counter the global threat that he poses in a manner
that advances our efforts to eliminate those who launched last year's
attacks, and that cements our alliances with those throughout the world
community who are threatened."

The statement also questions the President's political motives in the
timing of his request for war powers.  "It appears to many of our members
that the sudden urgency for a decision about war and peace, an urgency
which did not exist a month ago, has as much to do with the political
calendar as with the situation in Iraq", the statement reads.

The Sweeney statement is especially significant because it marks a U-turn
from the AFL-CIO's unwritten, but rigidly followed, rule by its affiliates
to focus on purely domestic issues, while pretending that Afghanistan and
Iraq simply don't exist.  The AFL-CIO Executive Council last August 6-7
made no mention, favorable or critical, of President Bush's foreign policy
actions.  The Sweeney statement appears on the AFL-CIO Web site:

http://www.aflcio.org

... but hardly anywhere else.  It has been completely ignored by the
AFL-CIO's October 19 'National Day of Action', barely two weeks before the
mid-term congressional elections.

Does Sweeney really mean what he says?  If so, he must use his authority to
call an emergency meeting of the Executive Council as quickly as
possible.  It would be unpardonable if he waited until February 24, when
the Council is scheduled to meet.  In the next four months, life-and-death
decisions affecting every American family will be made.  Shouldn't the
Council, representing 13 million union men and women, have a voice in these
decisions, since their members will be paying for them in blood and treasure?

The Council must reject its short-sighted policy of ignoring the issue of
war and peace.  Isn't it clear that a U.S. invasion of Iraq will seriously
impair labor's legislative agenda?

Labor cannot blindly follow a President who can decide on his own when and
where and against whom to wage war and on terms that he alone will
decree.  We should be especially wary of President Bush, who has repeatedly
demonstrated his bias against unions.

Bush has promised us a long, open-ended war against terrorists and 'rogue'
states.  It's essential that the Council formulate labor's own foreign
policy.  The Sweeney statement on Iraq is an excellent starting point.

We're eager to hear from you.  Send your e-mail responses to:
<laboreducator at hotmail.com>

'Labor and the War' appears on:
http://www.laboreducator.org
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

http://www.aflcio.org/publ/test2002/tm1007.htm

Letter from AFL-CIO President John J. Sweeney
To Members of the United States Senate and House
Regarding the Debate on Iraq
October 7, 2002

Dear Senator/Representative:

I am writing on behalf of the AFL-CIO concerning United States policy
towards Iraq and the request by President Bush for authorization to respond
to threats posed by the current regime in Iraq.  As you debate the joint
resolution we urge you to consider a number of important matters.

The AFL-CIO and the American labor movement have stood firmly in support of
President Bush in the war on terrorism.  We believe that the apprehension
of those responsible for the heinous attacks on America last year and the
destruction of the al Qaeda terrorist network remain significant American
priorities.  The U.S. Congress must insure that our policy towards Iraq
does not distract our nation from this vital mission nor make that mission
more difficult.

At the same time, we share the belief of the President and others that
Saddam Hussein is a menace -- to his own people, to stability in a critical
region of the world, and potentially to America and our allies.  How we
determine the extent and nature of this threat and how we respond to this
threat are issues now before the Congress and the American people.

The stakes in this national debate reach well beyond the immediate issue of
Iraq's dictatorship.  We must deal with Hussein's lawlessness in a manner
that reinforces international law.  We must treat his defiance of the
United Nations in a manner that respects that crucial institution and all
it stands for.  We must counter the global terrorist threat that he poses
in a manner that advances our efforts to eliminate those who launched last
year's attacks, and that cements our alliances with those throughout the
world community who are threatened.

We recognize we cannot defeat terrorism with military force
alone.  Prevailing in this fight also will require aggressive diplomacy,
exerting economic and political force, and utilizing intelligence
information and operations.  The world community must rededicate itself to
the defense of basic human rights -- the freedom to speak, to assemble and
to organize, as well as the freedom from starvation, from homelessness and
from curable disease.  This requires renewed global attention, cooperation
and action.  The industrial nations in particular must significantly
increase our assistance for basic needs.

Our nation's long-term interests require that we assemble a broad
international coalition for an aggressive and effective policy of
disarmament in Iraq -- and work through the United Nations to the greatest
extent possible.  America certainly has the right to act unilaterally if we
need to do so to protect our national interests, but the AFL-CIO strongly
believes that our national interests are better protected by multilateral
action.  International institutions that are so critical to our national
interests should be fully supported and respected.  We fully concur that
there must be an unfettered inspection system so that any subsequent action
is predicated upon conclusive proof about the extent and nature of an Iraqi
threat.

In addition to assembling the support of our allies abroad, the
Administration and the Congress must insure that the American people are
fully informed and supportive.  America cannot engage in a conflict that
involves the clear potential for significant casualties, as well as social
and economic costs, without a fulsome public debate free of political
inferences.

It is regrettable that some have sought to politicize this debate,
challenging the commitment to national security of those who raise
questions and concerns about these important matters -- just as some
attempted to taint the debate over the formation of a department of
homeland security by trying to equate a stand for workers' basic rights
with a lack of patriotism.  Such efforts are not only despicable -- they
obstruct and undermine the honest debate about important, complex issues to
which the American people are entitled.

Similarly, we are concerned about the timing of this debate.  It appears to
many of our members that the sudden urgency for a decision about war and
peace -- an urgency which did not exist a month ago -- has as much to do
with the political calendar as with the situation in Iraq.  It is an
apparent contradiction that there is no similar urgency to take action to
address the economic crisis that is also inflicting immediate suffering on
so many of our people.

The Congress and the Administration must be clear about both the short and
long term costs of action against Iraq -- just as we must be clear about
the costs of inaction -- and how such an action fits into our larger
national strategy of expanding democracy and stability in this important
region of the world.  Americans should understand, to the extent possible,
the long term commitment of American resources and military personnel which
may well be necessary to achieve the final result of a stable and
non-threatening Iraq.  The Administration should secure the support of our
allies, both diplomatically and financially, for any military action and
costs associated with rebuilding Iraq.  And the cost of such action should
not be used as a reason for not investing in other critical national needs.

Whatever resolutions the Congress passes this week, it is vital that the
Administration present Americans with the evidence and considerations and
make a sober judgment before our forces are sent to war.

It is, after all, the sons and daughters of America's working families who
will be asked to carry out this mission.  We must assure them that war is
the last option, not the first, used to resolve this conflict before we ask
them to put themselves in harm's way to protect the rest of us.

I urge you to consider all of these important matters as you debate this
consequential issue.

Sincerely,

John J. Sweeney
President
American Federation of Labor - Congress of Industrial Organizations
[AFL-CIO]

==================================
CERJ at igc.org            wilmerding at earthlink.net
John Wilmerding, Convener and List Manager
Coalition for Equity-Restorative Justice (CERJ)
1 Chestnut Hill, Brattleboro, VT, ZIP: 05301-6073
Phone: 1-802-254-2826 | 1-802-380-0664 (cellular)
CERJ was founded in New York in May, 1997.
"Work together to reinvent justice using methods
that are fair; that conserve, restore, and even
create harmony, equity and good will in society."
To join (or leave) the CERJ email list, kindly send
me an email message at wilmerding at earthlink.net
or at cerj at igc.org.  I'll need your first & last name,
your email address, and your state, province or
country of residence.  Thank you!  -- John W.