[syndicate] a philosophical question

Ivo Skoric ivo at reporters.net
Thu Nov 28 03:27:52 CET 2002

Yes, curiously people are frightened here. Not only those on the
left. But people in general: they all seem to be worrywarts. Prozac
and Zoloft are making a killing. Since, everybody is anxious about
everything: job security, health, housing, terrorists, muggers, drunk
drivers, failing in school, offending someone, getting a bad haircut,
getting screwed, appearing ridiculous, breaking a law. There is
something wrong with the home of the brave. I notice that everyday
in a way how people drive, how people behave on the street, what
values do they prioritize, etc. It is as if the entire system is built
with a single purpose of scaring people into obedience, the media,
the law enforcement, the corporate workplace. The land of the free
exists as some utopian afterlife proposition. It is here. But nobody
dares to taste it. Now with the HSD, the US is trying to catch up to
the old Soviet Union in establishing a more totalitarian state. With
the population that already worry too much (the sniper case is a
good example - in Bosnia snipers were active for 1000 days, yet
people went after their business, in DC after 14 days parents
refused to send their kids to school...), it is a recipe for fear. The
beauty (from the government point of view) is that not much state
violence is really needed to keep population in check at this level of
anxiety. Eventually, people in the most free country in the world will
tremble just at the tought of possibility of getting caught, without a
cop in sight.
ivo