master classes Interfacing Realities

V2_Organisation v2 at v2.nl
Fri Nov 1 15:50:52 CET 2002

Interfacing Realities is a Culture 2000 project initiated by V2_ and
realised in collaboration with EncArt. EncArt (European Network for
Cyber Arts) is a longterm collaboration between the ZKM in Karlsruhe,
Ars Electronica in Linz, C3 in Budapest and V2_ in Rotterdam that
started in 1997.
Interfacing Realities covers a series of four masterclasses that focus
on new concepts for information management in general, and the usage
and creation of databases and archives in contemporary art practices in
particular.

http://www.v2.nl/Projects/interfacing_realities

=====================
Master class with Lev Manovich
C3, Budapest, 22 November - 26 November 2002
METADATING THE IMAGE
=====================
MASTER CLASS with Joel Ryan
ZKM Karlsruhe, 27 November - 1 December 2002
MAPPING YOUR CREATIVE TERRITORY
=====================
more info about these two master classes below

MASTER CLASS with Lev Manovich
C3, Budapest, 22 November - 26 November 2002

METADATING THE IMAGE
Human cultures have developed rich and precise systems to describe oral
and written communication: phonetics, syntax, semantics, pragmatics,
narrative theory, rhetoric, and so on. Dictionaries and thesauruses
help us to create new texts while the search engines and the ever
present ?find?? command on our desktops help us to locate the
particular texts already created, or their parts.

Paradoxically, while the role of visual communication has dramatically
increased over the last two centuries, no similar descriptive systems
were developed for images ú at least not on the same scale. So while
the number of different types of images we routinely create today is
extremely large, if not infinite (and it has become ever larger after
computer tools made possible to more easily combine photographs,
graphics and text, and to apply operations previously reserved for each
of this separate medium to all the other media ú blurring text, etc.),
the systems we have to describe these images are very poor. For
instance, stock photography collections divide millions of images into
a couple of dozen categories, at best, with names such as ?joy?
?business,? and? achievement?; professional designers typically use
even more limited range of categories to describe their projects (
?clean,? ?futuristic,? ?corporate,? ?conservative,? etc.)

As computerization dramatically increases the amount of media data that
can be stored, accessed and manipulated, we are gradually shifting
towards more structured ways to organize and describe this data. For
example, we are moving from HTML to XML (and next to Semantic Web);
from MPEG-2 to MPEG-7; from ?flat? lens-based images to ?layered? image
composites and discrete 3D computer generated spaces. In all these
cases the shift is from a ?low-level? metadata (the fonts on the Web
page, the resolution and compression settings of a moving image) to a
?high-level? metadata that describes the structure of a media
composition or even its semantics.

What about images? Computerization creates a promise (which maybe only
an illusion) that images that traditionally resisted the human attempts
to describe them with precision ú will be finally conquered. After all,
we now easily find out that a particular digital image contains so many
pixels and so many colors; we can also easily store all kinds of
metadata along with the image; and we can tease out some indications of
image structure and semantics (for instance, we can find all edges in a
bit-mapped image.) Yet visual search engines that can deal with the
queries such as ?find all images which have a picture of ? or ?find all
images similar in composition to this one? are still in their infancy.
Similarly, the metadata provided by a image database software I use to
organize my digital photos tells me all kinds of technical details such
as what aperture my digital camera used to snap this or that image ú
but nothing about the image content. In short, while computerization
made the image acquisition, storage, manipulation, and transmission
much more efficient than before, it did not help us so far to deal with
one of its side effects ú how to more efficiently describe and access
the vast quantities of digital image being generated by digital cameras
and scanners, by the endless ?digital archives? and ?digital libraries?
projects around the world, by the sensors and the museums?

The theoretical part of the Master class will develop in more detail
the paradigm sketched here. We will discuss the key modern attempts (in
cinema, graphic design, art history, psychology, and other fields) to
make images into a language ú i.e., to develop formal techniques to
describe images and to predict their effects on the viewer. Against
this background, we will look at the history, the present research and
the emerging trends in computer research which pursue the similar
project: visual search engines, the new hybrid forms of cinema which
combine cinematography with a more structured way to represent space
borrowed from 3D computer graphics, the state of the art in computer
vision applications, and so on. We will also look at the works of a few
new media artists that engage with the politics and poetics of image
metadata (Joachim Sauter, George Legrady, and others).

Finally, we will also engage with some larger questions about the
functioning of images in a global information society. For example, is
it true that we live in a predominantly visual culture, or does
computerization in fact downplays the role of an image in favor of
other representations such as text and 3D space? Will our visual
culture be still dominated by photographic-like images in the twenty
first century, or will other kinds of images eventually take their
place? While computers allow us to manipulate old media in new ways,
creating new hybrids and new forms, do they also enable any completely
new and unprecedented types of visual representations?

The practical projects developed during the Master class can pursue one
of two directions. A project can present an analysis of some existing
(and socially important) system for cataloging and describing images
and their contents ú for instance, the categories used by stock media
collections, the categories used to classify facial expressions of
human emotions in computer research, the categories used by graphic
designers to talk about the styles of Web design. If possible, these
projects should address the following two questions: (1) are there any
conceptual shifts which can be observed in the logic of image
description systems as they become implemented in a computer, thus
turning into software? (2) What are the relationships between image
description systems and the descriptions used by software for other
type of media?

Alternatively, a participant can develop a conceptual proposal for a
software interface to record, describe, access, or manipulate images in
a new way. While new media artists have extensively critiqued existing
software interfaces in general and developed many particular
alternatives, surprisingly little energy has been spend so far thinking
on how we interface to images. And yet the computerization of visual
culture opens all kinds of interesting possibilities waiting to be
explored. For instance, if it already possible to record and store
practically unlimited number of still and moving images of one?s
existence, what kind of interface can we use to organize and navigate
these images? Or, given that we now can use database software to
classify, link, and retrieve images and image sequences along with
other media, how can a database structure be used to represent the life
of a modern city, the history of a place, etc. In other words, behind
the difficult problem of visual metadata that has become more pressing
in computer age than ever before, there is also an exiting promise ú
the promise to represent reality and human experience in new ways.

The projects created during the class will be featured on a Master
class Web site and will be published in a new book by V2 (Rotterdam).
Therefore, regardless of whether a participant chooses to pursue
analytical or practical project, the final files should be ready to be
put on the Web and to be published in the book. Therefore the project
should be presented as a single panel (similar in style to
architectural proposals), available in Web-ready and print-ready
versions (for instance, an HTML file and an Illustrator file).

date: 22 - 26 November 2002
location: C3, Budapest, Hungary
participants: 10 (a maximum of 6 students)
costs: 200 euro, students 100 euro (traveling and lodging must also be
payed by the participants)

Subscribe as soon as possible by using the webpages:
http://www.v2.nl/Projects/interfacing_realities

=====================

MASTER CLASS with Joel Ryan
ZKM Karlsruhe, 27 November - 1 December 2002

MAPPING YOUR CREATIVE TERRITORY
The application of new tools for scientific visualization to music
with Joel Ryan
for composers, media artists, mathematicians, and computer scientists

Navigating detail in musical real time

Modern music attempts to manage an unprecedented plethora of detail. The
massive data problem is as much the nature of contemporary culture as it
is the gift of our new computer based tools. This quest is not unique to
music and mathematical tools have recently emerged to deal with
understanding complex heterogeneous systems of data. The workshop,s goal
is to find ways to coordinate the recognition and recovery of states of
complex real time instruments. A target example could be called the
"Preset Mapping Problem". The workshop focusses on music, but the
solutions might be directly applicable to the control of any real time
system. The focus will not be on the musical time line or score problem.

The workshop is prospecting for new tools for composition and music
performance suggested by innovations in the visualization and navigation
of scientific data. Methods are emerging in fields as diverse as
immunology, protein synthesis, chaotic dynamics and data mining of
texts, all fields which have come to life since computational based
techniques have brought their complexity with in grasp. The sheer
immensity of the problems attempted has stimulated the search for
intermediate tools for sifting multidimensional avalanches of detail.
Perhaps our faculty of visual analysis can add to what our ears tell us.

Participants
The workshop is addressed to participants:
+ who have expertise in practical music platforms like SuperCollider or
+ Max and musician/composers  who need this solution
+ who have experienc in one of the sciences which already have practical
solutions for large data space problems
+ who can act as mathematical references

The workshop is limited to 10 participants. The language is English.

Joel Ryan
is a composer, inventor and scientist. He is a pioneer in the design of
musical instruments based on real time digital signal processing. He
currently works at STEIM in Amsterdam, tours with the Frankfurt Ballet
and is Docent at the Institute of Sonology in The Hague.

Application
The fee for the 5-days workshop is 200 Euro (for students 100 Euro). The
deadline for the application is 13 November 2002.

Please, fill in the application form:
+ Name, Address, E-Mail, Telephone:
+ Student: yes/no
+ Profession: / Subject of Study:
+ Curriculum Vitae:
+ Motivation (short text why you want to participate):

To be sent to:
ZKM - Institute for Visual Media
Postfach 6909
D-76049 Karlsruhe