___ R E A L T O K Y O MAIL MAGAZINE Vol. 79___

Tetsuya OZAKI ozaki at blue.ocn.ne.jp
Thu May 23 19:36:57 CEST 2002

R    E    A    L    T    O    K    Y    O    MAIL MAGAZINE
_____5_24_2002_Fri_vol.79___________ http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

[This Week's Index]

(1) Out of Tokyo
Vol. 037: Sontag in Japan

(2) Event Pick of the Week
STAGE
The Company: "Kitchen Katha"

(3) Presents
Invitation tickets for "Rirkrit Tiravanija: Untitled, 2002 (the raw and the
cooked) / Raymond Pettibon: Plots Laid Thick"

Invitations to Pappa Tarahumara's show of 'Birds on Board' for 4 couples/
8 people.

This week's RT Picks:

art+cinema+music+stage+design+town = 43 events
including 8 new ones!
Plus new entries on our 'book/disk' page.

Check them out!

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

(1) Out of Tokyo

Vol. 037: Sontag in Japan

by Ozaki Tetsuya

I visited the symposium with Susan Sontag on April 28 at ICC, but I was
a little disappointed by the event. Participating next to Sontag were
Kobata Kazue (translator and interpreter, who also translated Sontag's
Japan-only publication "In Our Time, In This Moment"), Kan Sang-jung
(political scientist), Isozaki Arata (architect), Asada Akira (critic), and
finally Tanaka Yasuo (prefectural governor of Nagano-ken) with a short
appearance at the end. With a total of four hours there was plenty of
time, but even Asada Akira's skills of summarizing and organizing
weren't enough to give the discussion more depth, so at the end the
audience was sent home somewhat dissatisfied.

Read more at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/column/ozaki37.htm

(2) Event Pick of the Week

STAGE
The Company: "Kitchen Katha"

Neelam Man Singh Chowdhry from The Company is one of India's
representative choreographers. Inspired by western classical authors
such as Jean Racine or Federico Garcia Lorca, Chowdhry has been blending
and applying such ideas to the traditions of her native Punjab. "Kitchen
Katha" does in fact play in the kitchen of an Indian family, telling about
the life of Indian women. The kitchen is a symbol of the locked-up life of
women in India, but at the same time it's a place where many of their
memories are stored. There will be food prepared on stage and served to
the audience, so this event comes with delights not only for the visual,
but also for the senses of smell and taste.
(Oz ★★★★)

Find details at:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/event_cgi/ev_viewE.cgi?3,540

(3) Presents

Invitation tickets for "Rirkrit Tiravanija: Untitled, 2002 (the raw and the
cooked) / Raymond Pettibon: Plots Laid Thick" for 10 couples/20 people.
Closing date: June 1.

Invitations to Pappa Tarahumara's show of 'Birds on Board' for 4 couples/
8 people.
Closing Data: June 10.

To apply and for further information, please see:

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/en/present/present.htm

Next week on RT:

- Tokyo, 4 Weeks

- Presents

and more…

In order to make REALTOKYO even more interesting and convenient
for you, we rely on your feedback. Please send us opinions or
productive suggestions concerning contents, structure, layouts,
etc. Three especially lucky readers who send a mail to
info at realtokyo.co.jp.
will be chosen and receive a little gift.

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/

---PR------------------------------------------------------------

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

REALTOKYO is looking for advertisers wanting to place banners on
our web site and/or in the mail magazine. Banners will get lots of
hits from people attracted to a web site full of catchy information
on cinema, art, music, theatre and other fun events in town.
Please contact the following email address for dimensions and costs.

ad at realtokyo.co.jp <mailto:ad at realtokyo.co.jp>

Please click the URL below to stop receiving email and to change
your password.
http://www.realtokyo.co.jp/scheduler/f_configure_en.htm
Users must go to the page above to make changes to their services;
REALTOKYO regrets that it is unable to process changes received by
email.

No part of the text or images from this site may be used
without permission from the publisher.

Copyright 2002 REALTOKYO